Wind instrument aborts booting of MFD

mullerb

New boat to me with an old NavNet 3D system with an NMEA2000 network. There’s a wind instrument at the top of the mast and I just found its NMEA2000 cable, which is not connected to the network. Which is why I obviously don’t have any wind data on my displays. When I plug it into an open port on the NMEA2000 backbone, funny things happen: the B&G Triton displays lose all their data (depth, positioning, heading , etc.) and the MFDs stop working. If I try to reboot the MFDs, they won’t fully restart and just stay on their opening boot screen. Any clues?

I would suspect that it is either defective and causes the bus problems (Maybe why it was disconnected) or the unit is an Airmar/Furuno sensor that offers the termination pin in the head. When connected to a bus that already has two terminations, the extra termination pin is messing up the bus. You might take the head off the cable and see if the termination pin is installed or not. If so, you might need to keep it there and remove one of your other terminators off the bus to have valid architecture. Normally sensors like this have a long cable that exceeds drop length so it must be part of the backbone.

Decided to get back to this after lots of other priorities...I think the wind instrument is an older NMEA 1083 device and when the boat was updated with a NMEA 2000 network, they didn't bother replacing the wind instrument. I was wondering whether it would be worth buying a 1083 to 2000 gateway. Has anyone had any experience with one of those, something like this Yacht Devices 1083 to 2000 Gateway? https://www.amazon.com/NMEA-0183-Gatewa ... 78&sr=8-13

It would probably make sense to check to see if the wind instrument is even providing proper data before spending the money on that gateway. How can you do that? I guess you need a portable MFD that you can plug a NMEA 1083 cable into?

Interesting question,

If you wanted to experiment, an IF-NMEAFI might be able to turn that analog device into a NMEA2000 one. ;)

Furuno offers the IF-NMEA2K2 which turns practically any device into a NMEA2000 device. :D

There are adapters online to read NMEA0183 with hyperterminal such as Actisense's USB Gateway USG-2. :)

Otherwise, the FI70 DSW package is boss for function and form IMHO. :cool :cool

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back