VX2 data 2 output question

robjl

I'm trying to output depth and water temp data from a Navnet VX2 to a N2K display.
I'm using data port 2 on my VX2 to a IF-NMEA2K2.
Which wires on the data converter do I connect to?

robjl":3jmvbn8g said:
Which wires on the data converter do I connect to?

First check to make sure Data 2 is setup properly for 4800bps (see P. 3-12). Than wire your talker pins 1 & 2 on Data 2 of the VX2 (e.g., TD2-A, TD2-B) to the listener wires e.g., RD-C, RD-H (BLU or L-BLU/GRN, WHT or L-BLU/YEL) on the IF-NMEA2K2. :cool

Ref. VX2: See S-2, https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... nual_k.pdf
Ref. IF-NMEA2K2: See P.3, https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... mea2k2.pdf

Hope that helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thanks Magnetron, Yes I have the correct output pins from Data 2 , I've tried every combination on the nmea 0183 into the data converter but can't get an output to a Fi-504.
You mention RD-C, RD-H ? aren't these the Pink/Pink.black wires.?
I have shorted the Org/Ppl/Blk wires for normal operation, is this correct
The Data converter yellow led flashes.
I have also tried Data 4, here again I can't get an output, I can input WMV via the data 4 however.
Any suggestions appreciated

My mistake Maggy
I'm reading the diagram for the converter wrong. Your description of the wiring is correct... But I've tried connecting both the Blu/grn and Blu/yel but no success. no data flows. Am I missing something in the setup.

Boot the unit into Install Mode (Boot with menu key pressed), and check your port settings for Data 2 (is it setup to output a particular sentence?). No more than 5 - 6 sentences should be on at any one time. :cool:

If you know it should be outputting data, you may want to check the NMEA talker leads with a multimeter (in VOLTs) to check if it fluctuates (aka with data packets). If no data, than you got an issue and should try another port (data 1 for example). If you get data, check the connections once again. Best practice is to use a DIN rail or some sort of connector rail (rather then finger twist them).

Ref.: See P 3-12 - 3-14: https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... nual_k.pdf

Hopefully that helps narrow it down some, :sail

- Maggy

I have checked data 2 port settings, all OK, and turned on sentences DPT,GLL,MTW,RMC,VTG.
Multimeter set at 2VDC connected across pin 1 and pin 2 shows 1.0v then at about 1 second intervals shows about .6v (packets of data I guess) When I connect TD-A & TD-B (VX2 data2) to the Blu-yel & Blu-grn on the data converter I get nothing on the FI504.
The FI504 is the only instrument on a N2K backbone, other than 12v in and terminators.
I tried feeding the data back into data 2 and viewing it on the port monitor, it looks OK.

However if I input my Weather Station 0183 data into the data converter it works fine.!!!
I have tried connecting the shields and neg lines but can't get it to work.
What have I missed?

Robjl,

You might try a loop back test on data port 2 and check the port monitors. Can you actually do that and take a picture of the port monitor and post it here?

On the data 2 cable, hook white to yellow and black to green. Make sure all the sentences you want are turned on and then check the port monitor. Don't forget to post a picture here once you do that.

Problem fixed. the fault was intermittent at best. I think I finally tracked it down to the 6 pin Data2 plug. the brass contactors inside the plug weren't making adequate contact. I levered the pin 1 contacts out a bit with a dentists probe and the system is now reading the data OK
I also soldered and shrink tubed the connections.
Thanks to all for the support.

Back