VHF Recommendations for Furuno AIS display

ajax

Furuno Fan
Any particular recommendations for a VHF radio, other than the two current Furuno units available, that plays nicely with the TZT3 in terms of displaying AIS?

There are many out there. The Furuno radio having direct calling integration features makes it nice. If you want ideas beyond Furuno, I would recommend a boaters forum where more would be likely to offer you suggestions.

I have a Standard Horizon GX2400 connected via NMEA 2k to a TZT9F and 12F, both gives me all the desired AIS receive data. Not sure what else you would want. As mentioned above, GX2400 surely isn't alone in providing this feature, just a confirmation that it works and does so seamlessly.

Providing AIS data is not the same as direct calling. Standard Horizon are good products but won't provide touch direct calling from the NavNet touching the AIS target. It is an added proprietary feature.

If you have room for an extra VHF antenna, I'd recommend a standalone AIS receiver or tranceiver. Radios with AIS listening certainly work but they are very awkward to configure to not go nuts with collision alarms when sitting in a harbor full of close proximity AIS targets. If you want your MFD alone to handle the AIS notifincations/alarms where it's easy to configure, get a standalone AIS hardware and add it to the network. I think the alarm can be disabled in the gx2400 but it's not simple. For a basic radio, the standard horizons with a G suffix (built in GPS) are a good reliable known quantity but I like to keep them wired simple,

Last edited:
FM4800 is very good and has ability to turn AIS on or off. Some people like this when fishing their secret spot. Most radios do not have this option. Another reason this feature is usefull is incase you ever upgrade to a class b send/receive box. If you can’t turn your AIS transmit off in your radio, then your own boat will show up as a dangerous target on your mfd. This involves lots of annoying beeping and flashing. Many people end up with this issue by accident and then need to buy a new radio. One major company you have replace the AIS radio or open it up and physically remove the AIS circuit board.

Back