Upgrade DRS4D to DRS4D-NXT

capdave

Hi folks - I have a 2009 NavNet3D system with 2 MFD12s, DRS4D Radar, 5xx Autopilot, SC30 Satellite Compass and FA-50 AIS. I'm upgrading to 2 TZTF12s, DRS4D-NXT Radar, 7xxx Autopilot, SC33 Satellite Compass, and I think I'll keep the FA-50 as I don't see a compelling reason to go to FA-70 (tell me if I'm wrong).

So I may have a lot of questions over the next few weeks as I plan and execute this upgrade.

Question today - the old radar has a power wire and an ethernet cable. The new radar has a power wire and an ethernet cable. Seems like I ought to be able to use the old cable run again?? I've read conflicting statements about this, including right here on this forum. I've downloaded the 001-426-250-00_retrofit_kit_procedures.pdf document - this seems to be instructions for fitting the existing cables to the new unit?? The pictures are of the new unit??

And I don't understand the whole part about the fuse box?? Of course my existing radar isn't hard wired to the battery, it's connected to a circuit breaker on a breaker panel (no separate power supply). Is this not sufficient protection for the radar? Or do I need both the inline fuse AND the circuit breaker??

And just to be thorough - On my 24V system, what should the circuit breaker be rated for?

Thanks in advance for the help.....

THe old radar uses 48v power thus either the external power supply or powering it from the old Navnet display. It also has a magnetron like a traditional radar.

The new NXT radar uses 12-24v from your normal DC power. It does not have a magnetron; perhaps it's power draw is smaller so it can run on 12-24 without bad voltage drop. It has a small inline fuse at the indoor end of the power+ethernet cable. probably 2-3 amps is plenty on a 24v system.

jp498 - thanks for that.

Anybody have any input on my other questions?

Cable retrofit question?
Breaker AND fuse or just breaker question?

Thanks!

It's always worth the hard effort to put in the new cable for a brand new radar imho.

- Maggy

Reduction of voltage results in higher amps. Only the dome radars allow you to keep the older style cable in place. For going from the DRS4D to the 4DNXT, you would remove the pigtail from the newer unit and take the older cable directly inside, just like it connects on the older DRS4D.

We bit the bullet and pulled the new cable. But - the pigtail and the new cable are both black, which look terrible where they are visible on the outside of the boat......The old cables were white, much better.

I will pass that comment to product development. I think white would be a better color for blending in on most boats.

Back