Updating versions of charts

A

Anonymous

I have 2 TZT2 units of different ages. My master has older charts than the slave....the sd card has different versions of most of the charts even NOAA charts...i.e. version 13 versus version 10 etc. How do i update them?

I see a furuno chart list from June 2016......is there a newer one?

Good morning Rod27,

The easiest way is to probably use the Mapmedia Website. When you get a chance please follow the link below. Mapmedia has a nice user interface to look at and select charts for download. When you get to the intro page please choose the TIME ZERO catalog . Please keep in mind, charts in the US are free thanks to our government's hydrographic office NOAA. Charts outside the US usually are associated with a fee but they can still be downloaded from the Mapmedia site. You just will not be able to view the data on the pay for charts until a new unlock code is purchased.

I would start with downloading one or two charts at a time, if you try to do more it can sometimes time out due to bandwidth issues. The free charts in the US will be under:
Vector: Megawide & NOAA: NOAA. For the raster Charts: Raster: Megawide & NOAA: NOAA. Just click on the charts and save them to a location like your desktop. Once the charts are downloaded you will want to unzip them. Typically most computers come with a zip extractor like WinZip or 7-Zip. Once the files have been unzipped you can place them on the Micro SD card from the TZT2 unit. Those cards are in the back of the machine. I will typically remove the card, put it into a MicroSd to SD adapter, plug into my computer, copy and paste the new charts into the respected folders and locations of the earlier version charts on the card. It is pretty straight forward.

http://www.mapmedia.com/charts-catalog.html

Kind Regards,

these tzt2 units are killing me.....now it says Master charts not detected on both units. And the bahamas charts i bought 8 months ago arent even unlocked anymore.....not sure they were ever unlocked. Maybe that is why the bahamas charts i bought sucked all along. And today the fishfinder/transducers didnt work.....and i have 2 of them. The temperature sensor seems to work.

So not only do i have NOAA raster charts that seem corrupted, compass is off probably due to Garmin Reactor autopilot needing to be recalibrated, but all the other things i just mentioned.

this boat will be sold in about 2 months and my next build is looking like i want to try something else.

I will be trying to fix these units tmrw by calling furuno and finding out why master charts not detected and why arent my transducers being detected and hopefully getting the boat to detect bottom so i dont run aground.

Rod27,
The charts issue is an easy fix. If you press the home button, then select settings, and then select initial setup. If you scroll almost all the way down you will see "chart master device". Now, only one TZT2 needs be the chart master.

Since you already purchased charts to use, then you need to verify what system ID did you use to purchase the unlock codes/charts. Each TZT2 has its own unique system ID number you will notice that when you turn "on" that chart master device setting, that the system ID will populate in the box below.

So the end goal is to figure out which TZT2's system ID did you use to purchase the unlock codes for the charts and then turn that TZT2's chart master device setting to "on."
then you should be able to use your purchased charts after you insert the unlock code (or if your dealer installed a "UC Pool" file on your chart card which automatically unlocks your purchased charts for use instead of entering the long unlock code).

As for the sounder issues, I would recommend to be on the boat and then please contact tech support to go over some settings. They will need to know what sounder equipment you have installed and also what model transducer. Also keep in mind trying to explain and troubleshoot a sounder image over the phone can be a little difficult to describe what exactly you are seeing, so if you have the option to consult a dealer and possibly have them come take a look on the boat then I would most definitely contact a dealer.

fixed the master/charts issue as u said. Not much changed with what i was able to see on my charts. It looked just about the same to me.....but in the catalog, i was able to unlock the bahamas fishing charts i purchased.

As for the sounder, it was not on the sensor list.....for some reason the TZT2 was listed as the sounder, so i switched it back to Dff1 and both trasnducers worked again.

As for the charts in the bahamas, Furuno said the eastern bahamas are not a preloaded chart, so they would need to be purchased....even the raster/noaa charts for the eastern bahamas. CUba was also not visible. The bahamas charts i purchased were fishing charts, and not very detailed. They recommended a different chart to purchase to get coverage of the eastern bahamas, but im not going to buy charts to use for a month or 2. The western bahamas and bimini are part of the preloaded charts. I thought all NOAA charts were free.

For some reason the Yamaha Commandlink digital gauges also had some issues all of a sudden and were not communicating with the GPS so i was not getting any speed on the COmmandlink, but i was showing speed on the TZT2. I was told it is probably an underlying NMEA backbone issue, not a Furuno issue.

NOAA is the hydrographic office of the USA, they don't manage charts for the Bahamas. Only the USA raster/vector (S-57)/Army Corp River charts are licensed at no cost to the customer. Although many additional areas for the entire western hemisphere is loaded for convenience; C-map, Navionics, other hydrographic offices outside the USA require a license to unlock or use. This includes places like Canada, Bahamas, and Cuba.

Back