TZT3 to FLIR M300c

RightRigger

Hello ! New to the forum and of course hoping for some help. I cannot get a video stream on a new install on my boat that includes a 16" TzT3 and a M300c . I have worked with both Furuno and FLIR support with several phone calls to each and the outcome seems to now be a request to send the the FLIR cam in to Furuno for programming. Has anyone out there experienced the decoding error that I receive after running through the setup for the IP camera ? I have done the following :

1.) Gone through the laptop setup of the IP assignment as required by logging in directly to the camera and the JCU - the result is the camera video comes up on the laptop and the camera can be controlled via the laptop ( After installing the camera through the FLIR installation process on the TZT3, I can control the camera with all three options : Laptop, JCU ,and TZT3 but just a black screen on the TZT3 with this occasional video decoding error comes up instead of a video stream ).
2.) I have updated the FLIR firmware via the same laptop
3.) Confirmed the TZT3 software is version 2
4.) Bypassed the network hub and ran the cam wire directly into the TZT3 - Still had camera control but only a black screen.
5.) Performed a factory reset through the Service tab.
6.) I ran through the FLIR install process and reset to defaults more than I can remember at this point
7.) Tried every FLIR option as well as the M300 with no progress.

Hope this was enough info and definitely appreciate any other input to this very frustrating scenario.

Thank you in advance !

Is the camera just on standby mode? :huh

In the newest software version, under the layers menu of the Camera mode (swipe up) is a new "Park" feature. Park stops the video output when the camera lens is facing downward, it reduces power consumption and protects the lens when running underway. but also not useful for troubleshooting. ;)

Check to see if this is toggled on AND/OR check the camera to see if it's facing downward. If so, maybe either this setting or a "park" feature on the JCU is putting the camera into standby mode. :cool:

Ref.: (pg. 10-8) https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... manual.pdf

Just a thought, :sail

- Maggy

Hi Maggy - First , thank you very much for taking the time to respond and provide the link for reference. I have had the camera going through full range of motion and have had the menu up activating and deactivating the park. Also have activated the park feature by powering down the JCU. Again , thank you very much for the input !

When you say you have gone through the laptop setup of the IP assignment, does this mean you changed the IP address to the TZT required subnet? You will have to do this for the JCU also. Any ip outside of the TZT 172.31.X.X subnet will not work.

This is the documentation that I used to set up my M232. download/file.php?id=2750

SUPERFAN - Thank you for the response ! Yes exactly I have set the IP's as per the documentation and submask as well. I can only assume that the movement would not work on both the screen and the JCU if the IP's were not set correctly but I am not 100% on this. Furuno and Flir are both scratching their heads on this one but I do believe they will help me get it resolved. The support on both ends has been great. Thank you again !!

RightRigger":yrm18sjv said:
1.) Gone through the laptop setup of the IP assignment as required by logging in directly to the camera and the JCU - the result is the camera video comes up on the laptop and the camera can be controlled via the laptop ( After installing the camera through the FLIR installation process on the TZT3, I can control the camera with all three options : Laptop, JCU ,and TZT3 but just a black screen on the TZT3 with this occasional video decoding error comes up instead of a video stream ).

So according to the FLIR M300C manual, when you view a video stream on a PC the camera encodes the video in an output format called MPEG-encoded digital video codec. That video output is only for web viewers and not the same codec that a MFD can use. For MFDs, in system settings, the codec has to output in H.264-encoded digital video. :think

Two things to try:
- Verify in the System Settings of the Flir M300c, not just a video feed, but that H.264 is selected as the output codec for use with ONVIF Profile S capable MFDs.
- Try hooking up the M300c by analog video input to the TZ3 video composite instead.*

*You want to be able to know that the camera functions and for TZ3 plotters with v.1 software that was the supported method anyway. By hooking it up via analog you can see it work, move it around, see if it's plugged in correctly, go on a sea trial. ;)

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Maggy thank you again for some more feedback to try and solve this issue. Yes this was first explained to me from John with Flir that the player in the laptop is showing the video stream through MPEG so not the true stream that would need to be seen by the MFD. The H.264 is the setting that is showing in the camera settings pages and is actually the default as well which I have reset several times per Flirs instruction. John told me the camera is setup to run everything in default except for the obvious IP settings. Spot on with the analog feed as I ordered the BNC to Male RCA yesterday and will be testing the camera ASAP so we are on the same page there. Appreciate the input very much Maggy !

Just a quick followup note for anyone following - Analog cable was added between BNC off of camera and Analog input 1 on the TZT3. This resulted in camera video and all camera movement is functional. Video of course is lower quality and still hoping ethernet video at 1080P gets resolved.

Thank you

Good news!
Called Furuno Camas last week to complain about limitations of using composite video from FLIR M300C to the TZT 16F. Reached Jeff Lantz who commented that he was about to have a conference call with Japan to discuss new beta 3.0 software which should provide the long-awaited video-over-ethernet capability. Since Camas did not have a M300C to test the software, would I be agreeable to having it installed and tested on my M300C? I said sure! Next morning I received an early morning call from Jeff asking if he could install the software that afternoon. He made a 500+ mile roundtrip to the boat which resulted in the 3.0 beta software up and running less than 24 hours after I called him! The software provides high quality 1080p video and full camera motion control and zoom to any selected targets on the TZT display. For my aging eyes (I'm 75), combining the superb low-light capabilities of the FLIR with the fully functional TZT 16F interface is a terrific addition to the boat.
Furuno will be releasing the 3.0 software soon and based on my experience it will be well worth the wait. If you own the M300C, you're in for a treat!

Back