TZT3 hide AIS target names based on zoom?

wkearney99

Furuno Super Fan
It'd be great to have a preference setting that controlled whether AIS target ID names were or weren't displayed based on the chart scale/zoom level.

As in, in a crowded anchorage it's a MESS of too much text on the screen if you're zoomed out to 500 yards. Less than that, you're fine. But above 200 yards it can become difficult to see the chart vectors and other info.

A preference slider for scale would be handy to control this automatically instead of an all off/on switch.

I will pass the suggestion. I know you can turn off target names completely and then just touch on the target which you would like to see the name of. That seems like the best solution in crowded areas the way it is now. Normally unless you plan to hail the boat, the boat name is not as important than being aware of its location for collision avoidance. I will pass the suggestion.

yes, that's a good work-around.

My perspective on most of this is as an older recreational boater. Wanting larger depth type sizes is a result needing reading glasses for everything. Likewise too much clutter. But it's also a situation involving guests or other newbie users involved in seeing the chart plotter display. "Showing off" the fancy displays is entertaining but a lot of them are pretty savvy about mapping displays and stuff now, having used them a lot on their phones and car navigation systems. So being able to adjust the sizes and density of displayed information for 'at a glance' use makes it a more attractive device to use. But I can totally see where a more professional use wouldn't care about this. Just hoping to find somewhere in-between.

Back