TZT3 Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiccup

Furuno Fan
OK, considering a TZT3 purchase. Can someone fill me in from the ground up on the charting options for TZT3 and how it works--what is included in the purchase, what can/must be bought after the fact etc.

I was planning on Navionics and I thought I understood that they were pre-loaded on the unit but needed to be paid to be unlocked? But then I read the thread that is now 'locked' that makes it seem like Navionics is no longer an option for Furuno users? Why would they lock such an important thread?

Yeah I don't really understand why it seems like they lock things they aren't happy with. Reminds me of the whole cancel culture / censorship bullshit. But hey, it's their forum, they can do whatever they want with it.

I suppose the next option is to just start a big thread on The Hull Truth and end up getting a whole hell of a lot more fighting and infighting as a result. And then it's completely out of their hands as opposed to just having some good back and forth discussion on here.

So I have a TZT3 system.

The factory unlocked charts are the NOAA charts. Where I am, in the Tampa Bay area, they're pretty fine. They don't have the detail level of say, the Navionics Sonar Chart, but compared to the Navionics regular chart, they're almost identical.

And this is the key here. The Navionics regular chart is what is available for unlock on the TZT3 system. NOT the sonar chart. If we had access to the Sonar Chart I think we would be a lot better off, but we don't. So if you were to compare the NOAA chart in the machine to what's available here:

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#b ... rgDr%60axN

You will see they're very similar for my area, as long as ayou have Navionics selected with the icon on the bottom left, and NOT SONARCHART.

Now, there are additional charts that you can unlock still, mainly at this point, CMAP. One of them is a CMAP navigation chart, another one is a CMAP bathymetry chart.

I purchased the CMAP bathymetry chart to see what it was like for my area. I can switch between the NOAA chart and the bathymetry chart by choosing either " auto " or " fishing" on the bottom swipe up menu. It was $100 and I don't really know if it was worth it or not. It seems like a lot of it was interpolated and wasn't actual data. I'm very happy with the NOAA chart, but the cmap bathy chart is like a slightly more outdated navionics sonar chart.

Also, when you have the bathy / fishing chart enabled, you don't see any channel markers or buoys on the screen, which is a little annoying.

I swear, I should start a TZT3 Youtube channel showing all the trials and tribulations of using this thing.
It's far from perfect, but I still am very happy with it.

What I would do if i were looking for some areas

1) figure out the area you want to navigate through , fish, investigate

2) copy down the lat lon of those areas

3) contact furuno usa via email and ask to please provide screen shots of all available charting options AND THEIR ASSOCIATED RETAIL PRICES for the above mentioned lat lon

4) see if it's something you are happy with

The last thing i will say is this:

Going through my local dealer was painful. It was blatantly obvious they weren't familiar with any of it.

It took something like two weeks for me to get a simple unlock code. I don't get it. at all.

Oh well though, it is what it is... the direct furuno usa customer service, pbg, sounder and radar make up for the lack of competitive charting and odd dealer experience i have had

OK, bumping this back up with a question. I believe I read that the deadline for Navionics purchases on TZT3 is 3/25/2022. Is this accurate? What do you have to do once you get your unit in order to activate Navionics before the deadline? Hoping to have screens in hand tomorrow, so may just make it under the deadline?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10094&p=35976#p35980

I believe I read that the deadline for Navionics purchases on TZT3 is 3/25/2022. Is this accurate? What do you have to do once you get your unit in order to activate Navionics before the deadline? Hoping to have screens in hand tomorrow, so may just make it under the deadline?

Yes, the deadline is fixed. This has been discussed in several threads on this forum. Those that purchased on or before then will have licence to the last available MM3 Navionics map. When it get older, an upgrade to C-map is offered at the upgrade price since there won't be any Navionics upgrade option. Direct dealer can place an order and codes are normally cut in 24 business hours. Resellers purchase through distribution so they have more people in the middle and depends on how fast they respond to your need. If you run close to the deadline, it is best to order from a direct dealer to reduce time in not passing the deadline.

Dealer will need your system ID and the part number of the chart you wish to order. Whenever they e-mail you the system licence code to the chart it will include a download link to the newest version of the chart you just purchased. If diffrent than what is pre-installed on your machine, it can be simply downloaded, unzipped and copied to the chart card. The unlock code will automatically unlock the newest version on the unit even if you have both the newer and older versions loaded.

Hello everyone,

I would ask someone to put me a link on how to upload maps to Navnet TZtouch3. I'm sorry, I didn't find anything online. I doenloaded charts, I have an system ID.

Thanks
Nick

Nick":31hl9asd said:
Hello everyone,

I would ask someone to put me a link on how to upload maps to Navnet TZtouch3. I'm sorry, I didn't find anything online. I doenloaded charts, I have an system ID.

Thanks
Nick

The process isn't difficult, if you want to download a free chart. Go to furunousa.com > Discover Products > GPS & Chart Plotters > Charts. Find the chart you want, download it, unzip it, and take the Micro SD card from the TZ Plotter and put it into the PC. Load the chart files to the card unzipped and load the card back into the plotter.

For paid-for charts, call a dealer and let them know the Product SKU you are interested in (e.g. MM3-VNA-022 for C-Map East Coast Wide) and your SystemID and they'll give you a process to pay and unlock them.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Do Furuno/TZ have any plans to roll a crowd-sourced chart option similar to Navionics Sonar charts as far as how it works? I.e. users data is uploaded (preferably automatically) and incorporated into the chart data? Even Navico has a version.

This forum is not a place for pre-announcements or giving competitors indications of planning. Product development rarely shares infomation about plans until they are officially released to dealers. Once software changes are released, we normally will post that infomation under the "Furuno News" topic area. The problem with shared sonar data is that every boat is diffrent and has diffrent transducer draft depth, beamwidths, and gain, coupled with changing tide levels. While some might not care about the data being accurate, as long as it is pretty; I think there are better ways and methods being considered. Product development is aware of the suggestion you are making and as with all our prior systems, we continue to make changes and improvements.

Magnetron":36680q1w said:
Nick":36680q1w said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Nick

The process isn't difficult, if you want to download a free chart. Go to furunousa.com > Discover Products > GPS & Chart Plotters > Charts. Find the chart you want, download it, unzip it, and take the Micro SD card from the TZ Plotter and put it into the PC. Load the chart files to the card unzipped and load the card back into the plotter.

For paid-for charts, call a dealer and let them know the Product SKU you are interested in (e.g. MM3-VNA-022 for C-Map East Coast Wide) and your SystemID and they'll give you a process to pay and unlock them.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Why does Furuno require going through a dealer to get a code to unlock charts? It is 2022, purchasing and downloading charts should be possible directly from the device itself all over wifi. At a minimum, we should be able to buy unlock codes online without having to go through a dealer.

you can get unlock codes from most everyone you bought your MFD's from. in many cases it's easier than dealing with local dealers who are incompetent at best, and off putting at worst...

I think the problem is the majority of these dealers are used to doing 99.9% sportfish retrofits , so when some jabroney off the street (like myself) comes asking for a specific unlock code for a specific map part number for a specific mfd with a specific system ID, they have to read through their furuno power points in a random outlook data file saved somewhere on their boss' computer who is on vacation and won't be back for two weeks to figure out how it all works lol

It is not clear to me that they can. When I try to purchase one via CMAP directly the drop down devices for Furuno don't include any TZT devices. What am I missing?
cmap.png

They have the ability but you would have to call them. Ultimately the charts for these systems in MapMedia charts. While C-map can sell a MapMedia unlock, they don't put mapmedia products up with their C-map products. Ideally, it is normally just as easy to work with your Furuno dealer on any needed unlock codes. Coverage areas for MapMedia charts are best looked at via www.MapMedia.com

I'm trying to order an unlock code for a C-MAP chart. I purchased through a dealer and after making the purchase, I was notified that it was backordered and was not expected to be available for a few weeks. Is this correct? Several places show them as unavailable. How is an unlock code backordered? I was also charged $12 for shipping. This is probably more of a vendor issue, but it just doesn't sound right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back