TZT3 and Navcenter Access

mike_e

Hi Guys,
First post and looking for information. Appologies for that

Have a TZT3 connected via WIFI to a Redport WXA-201 Optimizer/firewall connected to fleetone satellite phone.
All internet access is blocked except for accessing weather for my TimeZero Software
I can access TimeZero Weather and other "allowed websites" so I know system is working.

BUT on my TZT3 the "get latest WX" remains grey'ed out and I cannot select it even though I have a good connection to the WiFi. TZT also has a good position fix via a Furuno GP33 on the Canbus

I need to know what website(s) or ip address(s) the FURUNO TZT3 is trying to access for weather download.

I am guessing it is being blocked by the firewall but cannot find the Website or IP information for Navcenter to create a rule allow it thru the firewall

All help appreciated as I am tearing out what is left of my hair currently

I seem to remember somewhere there is an option between having the weather information provided by either the Sirius XM satellite weather, or the NavCenter weather. If you have the Sirius XM selected, I don't believe you cannot download the latest NavCenter weather.

I would check to see if the Sirius XM weather option is selected in the settings somewhere.

I can confirm NavCenter is selected. If I hotspot my phone to the TZT3 in question instead of the Fleet-One Satellite phone then weather download proceeds, If I disable the firewall then the I can download weather on the TZT via satphone connection. Firewall is blocking TZT3 accessing Navcenter.

I need to know what IP & Or domain and port number the TZT3 is trying to access to download the Navcenter weather information so I can create a rule to let it thru the firewall.
I cannot find this information on IP/Domain/Port number anywhere, hence my cry for help.
Thanks

To determine this you would probably have to do a packet capture when doing a weather update and see what up addresses are being connected to by analyzing your pcap file with wireshark/t shark to see what IP addresses the system is reaching out too. This will tell you what adresses you need to whitelist in your firewall.

My next question would be why are you fire-walling the entire internet?

gtstang462002":2ez9urdz said:
To determine this you would probably have to do a packet capture when doing a weather update and see what up addresses are being connected to by analyzing your pcap file with wireshark/t shark to see what IP addresses the system is reaching out too. This will tell you what adresses you need to whitelist in your firewall.

My next question would be why are you fire-walling the entire internet?

Because being a Satphone connection the customer pays for everything going across the link in both directions regardless and going over their plan limits is massively expensive.
They wish to utilize their Satphone ONLY to be able to access the weather download feature of their TZT when out of cellular range.

Thanks for the replys

I understand the data charge piece. If you are technically savvy, you can do what I described in my previous post, otherwise, the easiest suggestion I can make would be the following options:
1. Download your weather data prior to leaving the dock. This option downloads 7 days worth of weather forecast data.
2. Install the BBX4 weather module and subscribe to the SiriusXM weather service(depending on how often you need to update weather in a given month this may be a cheaper option over SAT data).
3. Only connect the SAT phone long enough to do the weather data download. Once the updated file is on the display, the data isn't going to change for the next 24 hours anyhow.

A good radar on the roof will show you rain in your vicinity also.

Back