TZT2BB versus MFDBB Heat sensitivity

sdonx

Furuno Fan
My old Navnet 3d BB was installed under a seat in the salon, sealed up with no outlets.
When out for a long day, it would freeze. Very dangerous when in fog and navigating by radar.
I installed a small computer fan (loud) and an outlet. Which cured the problem.

My question is will the new TZT2BB require the fan. It does not seem to have the same internal fan etc that the MFDBB did. How heat sensitive is the TZT2BB?

The air around the TZT2BB is not recommended to exceed 130 degree F. Just like a sealed car, having no airflow at all is not a good because temps can rise quickly. There are no plans to change the TZT2BB. It has worked very well with thousands out there. The TZT3 will never see a BB because the TZT2BB really is like a TZT3 with the TZT2 sounder. The TZT2BB has the same memory and processor as the TZT3. Good that you added the needed ventilation because continued overheating causes shutdowns and eventually SPU damage. Well done!

sdonx":16tzr7a4 said:
My question is will the new TZT2BB require the fan. It does not seem to have the same internal fan etc that the MFDBB did. How heat sensitive is the TZT2BB?

FWIW,

The TZT2BB has a fan on the bottom, it's important when mounting it to a bulkhead or in desktop position not to block this fan port.

TZT2bb-fanCapture.JPG

If you follow the guidelines for mounting, there should not be a problem.

TZT2bb-mountingguide.JPG

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back