TZT215 With No Existing NMEA2000 Backbone

A

Anonymous

I am considering installing a TZT215 head unit but have to do so before planning and installing a full NMEA2K backbone. For the present, I only have one NMEA2K device to interconnect with the TZT...a non-Furuno AIS unit which is mounted about 4ft away. The plan is to create a (very) small NMEA2K backbone to connect these devices...effectively a couple of terminators, a couple of tees and as short a length of backbone cable as possible. Short drop cables will connect the devices to the tees.

My question is on powering the NMEA2K bus. Will external bus power be required for this very small network or can the TZT2 or the AIS unit provide the power needed? If an external power supply is needed, what would you recommend?

I can alternately connect the AIS via NMEA 0183, but it seems a shame to do so with both devices having a free NMEA2K port. Obviously, I would like to minimize cost and complexity on this interim solution...at a later time a robust NMEA2000 network will be designed and installed and these devices integrated to it. Are there other options I might consider in the meantime?

Regards,
SteveCo

Excellent and thanks for the prompt reply....I missed that product on the website search! That will do nicely!

Regards,
SteveCo

I honestly don't see how that product is easier than a simple NMEA 2000 starter network? You have to cut the ends off of your connectors and terminate, you still need to come off a battery source for power and it's 3X the cost.

You can buy a starter system for $68 off of amazon that will come with pretty much all you need and jump off of the power in your helm. If you don't want a normal long backbone system you can buy shorter pieces and T's to complete for much less. If you don't want to use the long cable there is a shorter drop cable that is in the kit or cut the cable shorter and splice. If you have more questions you can email me davepjr@hotmail.com

Dave;
Thanks for the info...that's a good option as well. What I was really looking to determine was if there was a "trick" way to connect a single device to the TZT2 MFD. My background is in computer networking and I was thinking of something like one can do in a PC network if you have only two devices to connect. In the old days this was done with a "cross-over cable" (send and receive pairs reversed) that eliminated the need for a hub/switch for a simple two device network. You might recall seeing a MDI/MDI-X switch on some older hubs and switches that allowed them to interconnect in a similar way. Today most PCs and network devices will automatically create the crossover connection even if regular cables are used...technology marches on!

I have now confirmed I have to create a small backbone...and there are options on how to do so! Thanks to all for the info and points of view.

Regards,
SteveCo

Yep, simple network to do and see you did post that in your original post. I just went through this with my network that is only a single device to date to the MFD. I know you may not want the long cable but I've found by the time you add up the components to make a short one it costs more. You can cut the cable much shorter and add a terminator or cut it to length and splice. Good luck and have fun installing the new equipment.

Back