TZT2 with FI5002

sheakx

Furuno Super Fan
After about 20 - 60 minutes of run time it looks as though the TZT2 loses its NMEA2000 connection to all connected devices. The only thing that returns it to normal status is to power down and power up the TZT2. This has been working perfectly for about 7 years now. No changes to network recently. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would recommend checking one of the other NMEA 2000 devices whenever this happens. If they still can see the bus, the issue would seem to be isolated to your TZT2. If they also can't see other devices then it could be something going on with your bus. If isolated to the TZT2, I would suspect the NMEA 2000 transceiver chip is damaged/intermittent and would need to be evaluated/replaced.

The odd thing is rebooting the TZT2 without doing anything else always fixes the issue. Other devices appear to be communicating. The other devices also do not show as active on the TZT2 sensor list when this occurs. I would consider upgrading vs. a repair due to age. Any insight on if/when TZT4 might come out?

Because our repair center is able to replace the transceiver (if that is what it is) the repair won't be as expensive as replacing the main board or unit. Based on historical cycles I would guess we are well over 1 yr maybe much longer away from any next gen series. If you are not wanting to get into a DFF3D for bathy or third party devices that require the TZT3, i think I would repair the TZT2 and save the funds and upgrading for down the road.

The odd thing is rebooting the TZT2 without doing anything else always fixes the issue.
If you have a service loop in your NMEA2000 bus, have you removed the NMEA2000 connection to your TZ2 and put it on the service loop? If you do not have a service loop (or all 8 ports of the FI5002 are being used), have you removed a NMEA2000 connection from a device that works and swapped that connection to the TZ2? our expectation is that if the issue is with the MFD, the issue will move with the cable swap. If the issue is with the FI5002 connection, than the TZ2 will operate normally.

On the FI5002, two things to also check: First are you utilizing the strain relief for each NMEA2000 connection? Second, if you remove the cover of the FI5002 - are the NMEA2000 shield wires touching any part of the strain relief or touching any other wires?

- Maggy

That makes sense. I'll try moving the connection (I can temporarily remove the Fusion radio link as I rarely use it) and double checking the connector connections and shields. All of the incoming cables have been taped and strain relief cable tied. On maybe a good note, we just took 2 boat trips with no issues. The maybe is I hate intermittent problems. They're right up there with trying to trace the source of a small water leak that shows up far from the source. Thanks!

Well; this issue hasn't re-appeared. I can only assume that when I was inspecting the FI5002 wiring originally, that I somehow did something when I removed and re-inserted the MFD connector and checked that the wiring was still tight in that connector and the power connector. This will be the first place I look if the problem shows up again.

Back