TZT2 and Suzuki SMD9(gp1971) transducer selection

scarfo.j

I have a TZT2 12, Suzuki SMD9 with B60 transducer running off the TZT2. While I understand it's a Suzuki product, the hardware and sounder are a GP1971, so I think I'm going to get better answers here than with my Suzuki dealer.

I am not impressed with the image quality or the ability to mark bottom structure accurately on the B60, which I understand are limitations of the transducer itself. Bottom discrimination works well and it reads well at all speeds, which I like. However, I've parked above known structure between 150-250 feet and it really doesn't seem to be picking up much.

I'd like to add another transducer to the mix to improve my bottom fishing abilities. I typically fish from 100-300 for snapper/grouper, 300-600 for tiles/grouper, and occasionally deeper.

Should l keep the b60 hooked up to the TZT2, and add a B175 variety to the SMD9 since it has a chirp sounder?

Add a B260 and run it off the TZT2 and plug the B60 to the SMD9 as a backup?

As usual, many ways to skin this cat. Looking for opinions from the better informed. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20240914_171056066.jpg
    PXL_20240914_171056066.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If it were mine, I would put a B175M on the SMD9 and leave the B260 on the TZT2.
Word of caution, never turn on both BD and AF at the same time. It is one advanced feature or the other. Bottom discrimination is good with that B60 from 16ft to about 325ft depending on conditions. Both AF and BD normally work very well but trying to run them both is self defeating and normal results in poor results.

If it were mine, I would put a B175M on the SMD9 and leave the B260 on the TZT2.
Word of caution, never turn on both BD and AF at the same time. It is one advanced feature or the other. Bottom discrimination is good with that B60 from 16ft to about 325ft depending on conditions. Both AF and BD normally work very well but trying to run them both is self defeating and normal results in poor results.
Thanks! I was absolutely using both from time to time, which may have been the culprit of and of the issues I was having.

Back