TZT2 12" running 7.1 won't boot up...

benellison

This morning I had to depower and restart my TZT2 12 about 8 times before v7.1 finally booted up. The current install is only about two weeks old but it worked fine at first. I have just the single TZT2 MFD with DRS4D-NXT radar, 520-PLD 600W transducer, and MCU004 Remote but it's networked with a NUC PC running TimeZero PC 4.1 plus a fairly complex NMEA 2000 network.

I had previously seen the TZT2 get stuck in boot mode if I had tried to start the TZ PC software first, and maybe that's normal? But this morning the NUC was not running, and I even disconnected the TZT2 Ethernet at one point, as well as the USB (remote and memory stick). But it wasn't until I disconnected the N2K cable that the TZT could finally finish the boot process.

Then I was able to reconnect the NMEA 2000 network and the system was stable for our 3 hour trip home in thick fog (during which the NXT radar was nearly indispensable). But it was quite disconcerting to have such trouble starting the MFD in the first place, especially since I hadn't changed anything it's attached to.

I know that there is a power cycling issue with V7 but thought it only applied to systems much more complex than mine. Are users with setups like mine also experiencing problems? How should I troubleshoot? If I had failed to get the TZT2 running this morning, is there a way to force a factory reset or similar "get home" mode?

If it doesn't want to boot with the NMEA 2000 connected, then there is something wrong with the bus. Booting and then connecting really isn't a solution because it is bound to run into problems at some point in the operations. If the units are running 24v; have you checked that the NMEA 2000 power is fully isolated? Non-isolated power converters or battery chargers are a big issue with grounding loops. Have you checked for instance conflicts on the NMEA 2000 bus? If there is a bad actor on the bus (like bad PGNs) it can be found easier by capturing the NMEA 2000 data and sending a copy into Furuno support. (new v7 feature) You might want to open a support case and provide a system log file from the Service menu and a recording of the NMEA 2000 bus operation for roughly 5 mins. I would also give them photos of your full sensor list so they can verify software versions and looks for conflicts.

Thanks, Johnny. It's all on the same 12v power source, but I will definitely log the NMEA 2000 input and find out what Support thinks of it. Also, is it standard that the TZT2 has to be running before starting TZ PC 4.1?

Back