TZT16F to my old B256 along with a 2nd ducer

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I've been trying to go through all the threads, but I need some time...and have some patience with me lol :D

I have a Contender 31 Open and I'm redoing all the electronics...starting with my GPS and transducer.

I currently have a B256 connected to a FCV628 ( I believe it is)...along with a Garmin Chartplotter. I've decided to purchase a TZT16F as the start of my overhaul. My main fishing is reef for YT and mutton/grouper 70ft-200ft and I'd like to do more and more deep dropping...so 500-1000ft. I also fish a lot for mahi, tuna and sails...but not sure that matters much for this decision.

1 - will my B256 plug and play into the TZT3 unit?
2 - Can I add a 2nd transducer to the unit or do I need to purchase a "box" (for lack of better term)
3 - Based on my fishing needs, what would you guys recommend?
4 - My in hull B256 is centerline in the bilge. Where would you recommend I mount a 2nd transducer?

TIA for the help.

- Dan

Fishermandan21,
Because of it's elliptical beam pattern the B-256 is not in the TZT3 database for ACCU-FISH and Bottom Discrimination, but would work however for normal fish finding. The B-256 is the first step in 1kw transducers and there are better ones available. With the TZT3 being capable of CHIRP you have a wide range of transducers to choose from. It's hard to say which direction to go without know how well your current setup (FCV-628/B-256) worked for you in past. Also are the ACCU-FISH and BD mode important to how you fish?

Snips

Snips,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest this boat is new to me, so I've not really dove into the details of the fishfinder on the boat. Have just used it to snapper fish a couple times and hit the sandbar a couple times. Past month it's either been in the shop getting new motors, fiberglass to close up some holes I didnt like or home being rewired.

After some discussion with somebody on THT, I've been leaning towards going with a B175M based on my needs. Like you stated, I'd also be able to take advantage of the built in Chirp. Back to the question regarding the accufish and BD, I'm not really sure...time will tell I guess.

Opinion on a B175M based on my needs? I'm guessing the B256 will just stay in there as a backup as I don't see a need for it with the B175M being able to cover everything I do.

TIA for the help.

Back