TZT 3 guys getting screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look we get it technology has advanced rapidly in the last few years and this new system is awesome looking. But who’s bright idea was it to make these new TZT XL different dimensions than the previous model so everyone wanting to upgrade has to do a dash refit to make it work. My boat has 2 19” tzt3 and I can’t fit 22”s and 16s are useless to me with the holes I have. Just a major ball buster on Furuno’s part here. The only option I have is run a Standalone pc and run time zero.

But if you have a hole cut out for 19” tzt3 that’s now obsolete you can’t just throw in a 16 tztxl with a make shift adapter and call it good. Furuno expecting people with 100,000-$1,000,000+ boats to be ok with an adapter? Just an extreme oversight on their part. I felt like the sizes before filled every void and were perfect.

I strongly disagree, more screen in less space is always awesome. I would not want Furuno to make the new unit bigger just so it can fit in the same space. Making a new dash panel to hold 10k worth of MFD's does not seem like a big deal to me.
I do understand the "dammit" feeling though for those that just got the TZT3's. I have 2 16's that are a little over a year old.

I understand cutting the dash open to put in a larger display, assuming that you have the space to make the hole larger. But I believe that the OP is questioning why not just have a generalized standard. IE, 9" or 10" display requires cutout that is aXb 15" or 16" display is cXd and keep it the same across generations. Every generation of the TZT displays has used different sized cutout for similarly sized displays.

I have no problem with them coming out with new units every 3-4 years but I just felt like the sizes they had with the tzt3 were perfect and filled every void. Why not stick to same exact footprint on the the tztxl so the tzt3 customers could upgrade seamlessly. Now I have to do thousands of dollars in glass work if I want to make the change because the 22”s simply won’t fit. I’d have to downsize to 16s.

The sizes offered are the sizes. Much is based on sales and what boat builders are building and requesting. It doesn't seem there are any real questions happening in this thread because it isn't about questioning the minds of the inner workings of why the engineers did this or did that. Most that have been here awhile know I don't like noise and axe grinding that takes over other forums which takes away from those that have questions or searching for a real answer among the speculation. I personally have asked that development we try to take retrofitting into consideration on new designs and apparently they have their reasons. It is what it is; we adapt and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back