TZT 3 and B175 transducer

Hemmingway

I have a TZT3 12” with two transducers. B175 L and a B 175HW. I was informed by Furuno prior to install that I would be able to use ACCU fish. It seems this is not the case, since the current software does not know the beam angle even if I fix the khz to 50 and 200. Given the limitations and preference for boats under 35’ with outboards to have tilt eye chirp transducers I am surprised There is not a software update to account and input beam angles for the ACCU fish algorithm to work. The current airmar transducer line up that Furuno certified is very disappointing. Transom mounts not very effective too much turbulence, pocket mounts? Same for pocket mounts, not practical. B265with fairing block not practical with a trailer. I hope Furuno will look to do some work with the B175 ‘s chirp transducers.They are terrific transducers . Any suggestions welcome. Very disappointed

AccuFish, Rezboost, and Bottom Discrimination are not just software features. They rely heavily on the physics of the allowed transducers. Wide beam transducers do not function well with these features. Only the transducers listed on the product pages under "Bottom Discrimination Transducers" for the sounders, fish finders, or MFDs are approved and officially supported with these features. Bottom Discrimination is the most stringent feature so if it does that, it'll do the others.
Pocket mounts are the best way to go. Many people get creative with their installations and it works very well. Australia is great about this. I installed countless transom mount transducers that read up to and above 30 knots. The biggest challenge currently is stepped hull vessels having MAJOR limitations on transducer placement. Sometimes we need to think outside of the box to find the best methods.
Would you mind private messaging me and let me know who at Furuno told you the B175L/B175HW pair would work?

Hemmingway":pf112v5o said:
I have a TZT3 12” with two transducers. B175 L and a B 175HW. I was informed by Furuno prior to install that I would be able to use ACCU fish. It seems this is not the case, since the current software does not know the beam angle even if I fix the khz to 50 and 200. Given the limitations and preference for boats under 35’ with outboards to have tilt eye chirp transducers I am surprised There is not a software update to account and input beam angles for the ACCU fish algorithm to work. The current airmar transducer line up that Furuno certified is very disappointing. Transom mounts not very effective too much turbulence, pocket mounts? Same for pocket mounts, not practical. B265with fairing block not practical with a trailer. I hope Furuno will look to do some work with the B175 ‘s chirp transducers.They are terrific transducers . Any suggestions welcome. Very disappointed

I think you are frankly somewhat unrealistic in your expectations. With a single dual frequency 50/200HZ or the CHIRP equivalent, the relationship between the beams is uniform and based on the transducer design. With paired tilted element transducers such as you have (as do I), a large number of variables are introduced. For example, if you have a 12 degree tilted element and your hull deadrise is 14 degrees, the high and low frequency beams will not have the same characteristics as if you have a 10 degree deadrise and a 12 degree tilted element. The distance between the high and low can vary greatly. On some boats, it will be very small (mine are only about a foot apart right next to the large structural keel member). On other boats, the transducers might be two or three feet apart.

It would be quite a complex undertaking to have transducer setup parameters for all of the possible variations in mounting location and then write the sounder code to do the calculations properly to display the Accu-fish targets.

My small boat has a TZT 2 and a B60 50/200 tilted element and thus the Accu-fish is available on that unit. My observation is that it is a bit silly in real life and I prefer to rely on my own observation of the sounder marks to determine if there are fish showing below me. I do not miss it at all on my bigger boat that has the tilted element B175H/B175L pair.

My old boat had a pocket mount CM111LH and it is definitely the way to go if your hull can accommodate it. On my new boat, we were able to put the B54 DFF3D transducer in a pocket because it is a lot smaller and the builder was comfortable cutting into the keel.

Thank you for the info.and experience. Very very helpful. With the pair of B175’s can you determine or set a alarm for significant targets. Thinking fish of 40” and greater?? How are you using your pair for best detection of for example Tuna in t by e water column
Thanks

Hemmingway":2cnqswjj said:
Thank you for the info.and experience. Very very helpful. With the pair of B175’s can you determine or set a alarm for significant targets. Thinking fish of 40” and greater?? How are you using your pair for best detection of for example Tuna in t by e water column
Thanks

I do a lot of tuna fishing. However, I also have a DFF-3D, which is primarily what I use if I am hunting around since it shows a much wider area than either the B175L or B175H. If you use the DFF-3D in history mode, it can be set to display larger fish targets and does quite a good job. Then the HF image for the B`175 will give me detail on bait balls and other indicators.

Thank you very helpful. Sounds like a great set up. I have to figure out what transducer to install for dff3d.I have a cat boat so it gets tricky. I was told my a few people transom mounts do not work well on Cat hulls since the tunnel leaves me little room to mount to try to get clear water.

Back