TZ3 to DIFFAMP to R509 configuration

backman

Furuno Fan
I just had a complete TZ3 network installed which utilizes my pre existing DFF-UHD1/B275 transducer as part of the Ethernet network.

I also had an R509LM transducer installed with a DIFFAMP connected to one of the TZ16 screens.

My focus is swordfishing and seeing both bait and fish in the 800-2000’ depth range.

I’m super familiar with the B275, see things well down to 1200’ with about 85% gain, TVC of 7 and a 2/1 advance speed. I also get a good view of the bottom of the water column with bottom zoom of 200’.

The TZ3 fishfinder setup is intimidating with all the variables and controls - any advice on how to best start the learning curve is appreciated.

The second question is whether I should also be playing with the CHIRP frequencies to stay away from the 50/200 that the B275 is using.

backman,

I did ask a few tournament fishing guys that I know, and they replied saying that they like to use a frequency around 65-80 kHz, and set their units for around 300 + fathoms (give or take) using Bottom Lock, and then adjusting the Gain to around "70" (give or take), and always looking for bait 150-200' off the bottom.

I was not able to extract any more information out of them than that. These tournament skippers like to keep this kind of Sonar/Fish Finder information pretty much top secret. :(

I hope this helps..?

- Deep Blue

Backman:
Don't be intimidated by the controls in the TZT3 and DiAMP. I have a similar setup on my SeaVee29 in Florida. I prefer to use the Di AMP in the low frequency mode when deep dropping. I think it shows more bottom bait in 1200 and deeper than the mid frequencies.
Similar to what Deep Blue mentioned I use Bottom Zoom adjusted to 300'. I prefer bottom zoom to bottom lock so I can see bottom contours. I set my B275LHW to manual range at 300-500' to see what is mid water.

Up here on the Cape on my 42 Duffy I have a FCV1150 ( still working great after 22 years.
Go FURUNO) for my deep water and a B275HLW on a DFF1-UHD, and a Dff3D. Up here I use the 1150 on the low side set at 30 kHz and bottom zoom up 300'. Run the 275 at zero to 300-500 feet looking at mid water.

You should have no problem showing bottom bait down to 2500' with your setup. I would leave it in low single frequency CHIRP mode and not worry about CW mode. Play with that later.

I believe you had a post earlier this year about adding the DFF 3D on your boat. I have it on mine. The transducer on the Duffy is installed in the keel. Works great at mapping the bottom out to 900-100 ft. The issue is how to keel mount the transducer on a down east boat.

I just installed, like this week, Time Zero Pro software. That is a game changer. Not only can I record PBG data from the DFF 3D, but when I loose bottom on the DFF 3D I can switch to the FCV1150 and record bottom out to 2500'. The FCV1150 is only a single point sounder but it still records where we deep drop. You can do the same with your DIFAMP. Take a look at TZ Pro.

Hope this helps

Incredibly helpful. I don’t dare cut into my NB36 keel - my hull had a long build history befor I owned it and I don’t know what’s down there. I’m also uncomfortable with a ‘ducer being low point on the hull.

Am I understanding correctly that if I install time zero software I can map bottom with the R509/DIAMO combo? That would be fantastic!

Back