TZ3 Ethernet

Pthein

Furuno Super Fan
When building Ethernet cables to cables of custom length between TZ units and the hub are they cross over or straight thru?

Most of the Furuno factory cables are crossovers but either work fine. NN3D higher, offer auto sensing ports so either type work equally well. Just make sure to use good quality speed rated SHIELDED cable with metal RJ45 connectors. Plastic RJ45s are a BIG NONO.

Johnny Electron":2jspt18u said:
Most of the Furuno factory cables are crossovers but either work fine. NN3D higher, offer auto sensing ports so either type work equally well. Just make sure to use good quality speed rated SHIELDED cable with metal RJ45 connectors. Plastic RJ45s are a BIG NONO.

Being a cable and wire guy in the Army for over 18 years, why the plastic RJ-45s are a big NONO? I would think that it would be the other way around as the plastic wouldn't corrode with any moisture that is in the air. This question is for my own curiosity as I am also getting ready to do a new install of the TZT3 system in my boat. I am sure there is a engineering requirement behind this.

Without metal RJ45s the cable shield can't make contact with the unit allowing noise to enter the system/network.

Johnny Electron":2u9863l3 said:
Without metal RJ45s the cable shield can't make contact with the unit allowing noise to enter the system/network.

Makes sense. We always used shielded cable but that was to keep the noise out of the lines when we were crossing power lines in the walls, the Army always buys the cheapest hardware to get the job done (read plastic RJ-45s).

If the shielding isn't grounded, it is just an antenna to help the noise. Furuno always requires shield cables with metal RJ45s for the network.

I'm trying to network 2 TZT16F units together with Ethernet cables. There is Network 1 and Network 2 Ethernet cables coming out of both MFDs. I have radar going to one, DFF3D going to another and then was going to tie the two MFDs together by attaching an Ethernet cable between the two units. Will this network the two MFDs together? Or is required to get a Hub even though there are enough Ethernet ports?

That will work fine Moe. In general a hub or switch is a good idea because if a unit fails you will lose use of the sounder or radar.

Back