TZ Touch

Eric Rosvold

I have a new installation of the TZ Touch 12". The unit reboots itself several times a day. I would note that when the ocean is rough, it reboots several times an hour. Often, after one of these shutdowns the charts are not available, or either the raster, or the vector are unavailable. The usual fix for me is to power it down with the menu, repower, and the charts are then available. Too make things more difficult, occasionally the unit will not reboot and will just shut down. The touch to on switch does nothing. Can't remember the color it turns to, but my only recourse has been to actually disconnect the power cable, and then to replug, and then all works again. I have brought the unit to Alaska Commercial Electronics and have found that the new unit that is on display there, is rebooting itself as well. Shipboard voltages are good, all connections appear tight. I cannot make the unit do this myself. Seems totally random.
Looking at past forum activity it seems other users have experienced the same issue, perhaps several years bac.

We have found most issues that you describe relate to NMEA 2000 bus problems or unit power grounding issues. For example NMEA 0400 Installation standards REQUIRES that the NMEA 2000 power be isolated. In several cases we find this rebooting is on 24v boats where the installer has failed to use the proper isolated 12v source for the NMEA 2000. When not isolated, it leads to grounding loop problems. Your case should be worked with your Furuno dealer or an official case with Furuno Tech support.

This a reply to an old query. Being as the boat is in Bristol Bay, it is a year between trials. I added a power filter to the N2K power side, as Furuno suggested. A miracle, all of our shut down issues disappeared and the display functioned as promised. A possible reason for the power issues was suggested as the onboard Inverter/charger may have added an AC pulse to our existing 12 volt supply source. At any rate, the unit stayed on for the last 226 hour fishing period.

Back