Transducer seperation

Jpra

I currently have a garmin transom mount transducer mounted between my twin outboards. I bought the 1971F last year and would like to add a transducer to do a comparison. Is there any distance they need to be mounted apart for interference concerns? I do mostly bottom fishing in 30-200ft and trolling up to 450ft. Any recommendations on a good transom mount that is reasonably priced?
Thanks!

Water flow is important to transducers. I don't think you can have both mounted without them disturbing the water flow to the other one. If doing a comparison you normally would use the same transducer type. What is the model of the transducer used by the Garmin? Is it an Airmar?

I currently have a garmin transom mount transducer mounted between my twin outboards.
If you could show us a pic it might help to understand how much room you have. When I envision a 35' - 45' twin outboard boat, I'm assuming the TM is mounted in the center because the props are counter rotating pushing water down towards each other to the center. That is, water is moved up and over the top of the TM, rather than props spinning opposite of each other pushing water up the center. If I put another TM on either the starboard side or port side of the outboard in this scenario, the prop is likely to wash up into the face of the outwardly mounted TM transducer which is NG.

Here is a guideline that Airmar came out with a few years ago regarding transom transducer placement. I hope this information can be helpful..?

- Deep Blue

Attachments

• Single transducer twin outboards.gif
    Single transducer twin outboards.gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back