Transducer material bronze vs stainless

Cabo92

Furuno Fan
Bought the stainless steel version of the 165T 54 dff3d transducer, it's for a strictly stay in the saltwater inboard boat, is the stainless version at risk of corrosion more than the bronze ?

Bought the stainless steel version of the 165T 54 dff3d transducer, it's for a strictly stay in the saltwater inboard boat, is the stainless version at risk of corrosion more than the bronze ?
That’s a question that cannot really be answered in the abstract. It depends on the other underwater metals on your boat, the bonding system, and the sacrificial anodes that are installed. The only way to tell with some certainty if there is risk is to use a reference anode to measure the galvanic potential at each underwater component. From my own experience with a stainless transducer on my old boat, it did not seem to corrode at all over a five year period.

On a metal hull, the bronze version would be a dissimilar metal and be at risk of corrosion, even with zincs installed, etc...
Stainless version is built for a metal hull and even if dissimilar metal seems to be more recommended for that application, (but you should still have zincs and other metal parts grounded.)
On a fiberglass boat, it shouldn't matter which version you bought.

I'm going to stick with the stainless steel transducer I've read all kinds of interesting posts on tht how stainless needs oxygen to fend if any corrosion but if it's quality stainless what does it matter ?

Back