Suzuki Branded Furuno TZTouch MFD Problem

seaveepete

Furuno Super Fan
Hi Folks,

I'm posting here as a last resort since I've been unable to find any support for this Suzuki/Furuno SMD7 MFD.
This unit was installed recently on a customer's new inflatable with a new 50hp Suzuki outboard. This is basically a TZTouch unit with some software to display Suzuki engine data coming in from the NMEA 2K network.
The issue is that it worked for a short period of time (days) and then it stopped displaying engine data and at this point it does not "see" the connected engine. In trying to troubleshoot this issue I found out that unlike every other MFD I've ever worked on, there seems to be no page to show the connected N2K devices.
It appears the machine has failed and I'm guessing that the NMEA 2K interface circuitry has died because all other features work including the chartplotter, sounder page, etc. We confirmed that the NMEA backbone with the outboard connected is fine because we connected it to the owner's TZTouch3 unit on his 42 Grand Banks.

Does ANYONE know ANYTHING about these units and whether or not there is a way to have it display the connected NMEA 2k devices?

Thanks in advance!

The SUZUKI SMD7 is not even close to being a NAVnet. It is a good unit and almost like the Furuno GP1871F. If the NMEA 2000 works with the Furuno TZT3 but not with the SMD7, then it sounds like they need to have the unit evaluated. SUZUKI provides all the support for their products but I am pretty sure they have a NMEA 2000 port monitor in the unit like the GP1871F has under interfacing in the menu.

Thanks for educating me on that SMD7. I was not familiar with the GP1871f and was going by the UI that looked familiar to the TZTouch units. I'll check the NMEA 2000 device list again and see if we get anything. BTW, the GP1871F manual is virtually identical to the SMD7 manual.
Thanks again.

Quick update on this one. The unit was defective and fortunately the customer was able to return it for a replacement.

Back