Supplying vx2 with gps and heading data from lowrance hds

Eastelite

I have twin Lowrance hds units with a heading sensor. i also have a 058 radar and green screen. I was fortunate to upgrade the screen to a vx2 for practically nothing. I am wondering if it is possible to connect nema 183 data from the hds unit to supply the vx2 with gps data and heading. This way i can get radar overlay. If so, how would i go about doing this.

If it is easier to do so, the vx2 will be right next to a standard horizon gx2200 with gps and ais. Maybe use nema from the vhf unit to supply the vx2?

Heading must go to the dedicated heading port (data 2 for the 7" NN)
You will need a 7 pin NMEA (000-154-028) cable for data 1 to bring your position and 6 pin NMEA cable (000-154-054) for data 2 to bring in your heading.

So, does it matter weather where the heading data is coming from? Is it coded differently if i used a lowrance heading sensor vs say a pg 500?

For the ais and gps data i think i will be using my vhf radio. So data port 1. Does anyone have a schematic on both ends?

As long as it follows NMEA 0183 standards it should work fine. If you want AIS also; then you have more complication because the 7" NavNet will only take AIS via data port one and becomes an AIS input port only. So if you are going to do this this correctly, you will need three cables. Data 1 = AIS, Data 2 = Heading, and data 3= GPS position. If you search this forum this topic has been discussed in the past. Normally the 7" Vx2 is part of a system where some of this data can come into other ports of shared units. For people trying to run everything off of one little unit, many use a network AIS like the FA30 or FA50.

Back