Software update fail

Jagsare1

Furuno Fan
A little upset right now because this issue is going to cause a cancellation of a weekend trip. I simply attempted to do the software update and should have ignored it. I followed the instructions to a T.

When I inserted the SD card with the files on it, I turned the machine on and a black screen with white FURUNO came on and said "system is updating...". After approx 4 minutes, that changed to "system updated successed..."(that is not a spelling error). Then, that sentence disappeared and the black screen with white FURUNO stayed indefinitely. I left it on as long as 15 minutes and it never changed.

Apparently, the system is now corrupt because the machine will not boot up. It turns on but will not move off of the black screen with the white FURUNO. I called Furuno and their only suggestion was to call a dealer which is great because there are no dealers within 100 miles that will work with a recreational boater.

Now what?

It sounds to me as though your update card may be the source of the problem. Try doing the following sequence of troubleshooting.

If you have not done so already, try completely removing the power to the unit by opening a breaker, removing the power cord from the back, or whatever means you have to ensure that it is disconnected. Then make sure you have removed the external drive/SD card or whatever you were using for the software update, reconnect the power supply, and try to start it up.

If that does not work, then try formatting the SD card in your computer, downloading the software update again and making a new update card. Then try to start the unit with that card in the drive. If you have one available, try using a USB "thumb" drive instead of the micro SD card for the update and plug it into the white USB on the back of the unit.

Assuming you unzipped the software update and put the update files into the root directory of the card or USB drive correctly, the unit is booting from the external drive and thus should be able to start up regardless of whether the software on its internal memory is corrupted. You have a good shot at clearing the problem, don't give up yet on your weekend.

Note that it does take a surprisingly long time for the update to get fully installed so be patient waiting for the restart and the power light to change color.

I am not a Furuno tech like the moderators but I do live on an island and it takes me an hour by boat to get to a Furuno dealer so I have learned to be self-sufficient.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already tried removing power. I will work on your next suggestions today to see what happens. Thanks again.

The update can take about 20 mins. I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. We always recommend holding software updates off until you have time in case something goes wrong. It might be that the unit was interrupted during the programming. If you can't get it working I wouldn't take it to the dealer. They will just try what you are doing now. I would send it to the service center.

Acording to the "OS & Application Software Update Procedures", the time frames for each segment of the update is "4 minutes" then "about 15 seconds" then "about 30 seconds", then "approximately 30 seconds".... I had waited approx 15 minutes with nothing happening so called Furuno and was told definitively that it only took a few minutes. I am going to try again and let it go for a while to see what happens.

I was wrong on the time. It was a different update that I was thinking about. I would recommend the update again and ensure you don't turn the unit off/on until the light turns red as described.

Went back to the boat today. Put the update SD card in the machine and turned it on......and nothing. The screen remains black. I can listen to the back of the unit and I "hear" that it is on but the screen will not come up.

Before turning on, the on button is yellow(?) I think. When I turn it on, the on button loses any color or indication it is on. I removed power from the machine and tried it again and nothing. I left it "on" for approx 1-1/2 hours to see if the screen would come on and it didn't. Now what?

Why does an update have to cause so many problems? Now, it appears that after buying a new machine and using it for less than an hour, it will have to be sent back for repair which means shipping cost and down time. I just don't get it and not very happy with this.

Jagsare1":1nehyz52 said:
Went back to the boat today. Put the update SD card in the machine and turned it on......and nothing. The screen remains black. I can listen to the back of the unit and I "hear" that it is on but the screen will not come up.

Before turning on, the on button is yellow(?) I think. When I turn it on, the on button loses any color or indication it is on. I removed power from the machine and tried it again and nothing. I left it "on" for approx 1-1/2 hours to see if the screen would come on and it didn't. Now what?

Why does an update have to cause so many problems? Now, it appears that after buying a new machine and using it for less than an hour, it will have to be sent back for repair which means shipping cost and down time. I just don't get it and not very happy with this.
Jagsare1":1nehyz52 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I already tried removing power. I will work on your next suggestions today to see what happens. Thanks again.

Did you download the update again first? You really should try with a USB memory stick instead of the SD card. Just be sure the update files are in the root directory of the USB drive and that you take out the SD card from the unit.

I did everything mentioned. I tried to use the thumb drive in the USB port and nothing happened. I had already formatted the SD card and uploaded the files to the card again and tried it after the thumb drive didn't work. Bottom line, after trying everything that was suggested, I cannot get the machine to power on. At least, I can't get the screen to come on.

One last thought. For some reason that I could never explain, I had a display "go dark" on me once. It turned out that the display brightness setting had gone to the very lowest level, which made it pretty much look black in any kind of daylight.

You might try taking out the update SD card or USB stick and pushing the power button after allowing a couple of minutes for it to boot up and then adjusting the brightness. If that is your problem and you do this at night, you will just barely see the slider to increase brightness and can reset it. Good luck.

That is a good suggestion. I already tried that but to make sure I didn't miss it, I went back up there after your suggestion so I could see it at night. Nothing. Again, I hear the machine sounds like it is on but cannot get the screen to do anything. Guess I will call Furuno tomorrow. What a pain. Pretty disappointed with this machine so far and this is not helping.

You sound like me. I removed a working navnet 2 system that worked great and installed a TZT 14. I was so angry and frustrated with the dam thing freezing up. I was on the phone with them constantly troubleshooting I finally threw in the towel. Furuno took it back and I installed a 15.6 TZT 2. This one works much better. Has not locked up once is brighter and easier to use. Get on the phone with them ( Maryland office) They are great people and will get it straight.

Just a quick update. Furuno offered to send an update card but I elected to just send it back and let them figure it out since it was a brand new unit. Correct decision as the "main board" was fried. As usual, Furuno fixed it promptly and it is on the way back. Good service and good communication.

I don't know what caused it. I followed the instructions exactly as written and the update failed. My concern now if future updates. There is no dealer in my area so I am on my own and don't want this to happen again. Just thought I would give a quick update.

Thanks for the update. It is good to know they quickly resolved the issue. I have never seen anyone unhappy with the service center and it is good to know that seems to continue being the case. There is nothing you would have done to cause this problem. You can do the updates yourself, don't worry. If you need help call our tech support guys. Thanks for the follow-up. :jump

Back