side scan chirp ducer location

buckshot

Furuno Super Fan
I have a short keel and I think I have 2 viable options to mount the 225T-SS904. One is directly on the keel. I am not sure about the hull thickness there so it may not work. If that idea does not work I have an area behind the keel that is between the shaft exits. I have good access to that area inside the engine room. The pic shows the basic area for each location. I will only be using side scan while trolling "avg 6-7 knots" so I do not think there will be a problem with turbulence from the rear of the keel.
I really like the idea of the area between the shaft exits. The transducer would be well protected and access inside is great. I am concerned about the interference from the shafts but they should be above the beam of the transducer.
I already have the single 225T-SS904 and I am hoping one of these locations will work.ducer.jpgducer.jpg

Following, I am taking on a similar project. I am pretty sure I am installing in my keel, back enough so the Marina yard trailer cross beams don't hit it. I need to first drill a small test hole. If it's too thick I am pretty sure I can add couplings. I think the keel is best as it is well below any turbulance. I will need some fiberglass work to do it right.
Here's my thread with some pics as well

buckshot,

I cannot stress the general rule on installing transducers. As it's location, location, location..! The transducer's performance is completely dependent on the condition of the waterflow across the transducer’s face, and if there is any type of water disruption or bubbles around that transducer, then the transducer's signal will be distorted due to turbulence, causing it to not perform properly.

Another factor is if you install any transducer too close to any propeller shaft/stuffing box this can cause transducer problems with vibration, harmonics, and/or turbulence issues. So, you need to keep that Side-Scan Transducer as far as you can away from that kind of environment as possible. Installing the transducer in the vessel's keel is a good option as the Side-Scan Transducer has a very wide footprint and if it's installed in the keel, this should provide you good waterflow and with a complete unobstructed view for the Side-Scan Transducer.

Side Scan.jpg

- Deep Blue

Update, I installed the side scan transducer in the aft location, just behind the keel. I did add a small spacer block between the transducer and the hull. My initial testing shows a very good picture. I am able to see docks and sea walls 800 feet away! The detail is amazing. I am so excited to see what returns I get offshore under weed lines and debris.

If you get an opportunity, please post some examples. We'd like to see...

- Maggy

Update, I installed the side scan transducer in the aft location, just behind the keel. I did add a small spacer block between the transducer and the hull. My initial testing shows a very good picture. I am able to see docks and sea walls 800 feet away! The detail is amazing. I am so excited to see what returns I get offshore under weed lines and debris.
bump, any updates on the side scan? thanks in advance

Back