Shifts affect on Gain in Auto

DeepSouthTX

Furuno Fan
Yesterday while running I noticed something and wanted to know if you could let me know how this works exactly. In the attached screenshot I was traveling slowly up a sloped bottom. Auto range OFF with Auto Gain F. I would slide my finger to keep the bottom in the screen as it got close to the top. Never pinching to adjust the 200ft of range I had on the screen. The depth was changing slowly maybe 200ft change in 2 min more or less. Shifting the screen had a major effect on the auto gain. Can you confirm how this works exactly. I dont always use auto but if I ever do it looks like I should stay way from shifting the screen if I do? As it appears to have a dramatic effect on gain. Thank you.

Shift.jpg

DeepSouthTX,

The setup that you described: Auto Range: ,OFF and Auto Gain to: Fish finder is only to be used when you are trying to look for fish targets within the water column.

If you are trying to keep on the bottom, I would suggest selecting the Auto Range to: "ON" and Auto Gain to: "Cruising". This will keep you locked on the bottom, and stop those major changes in the Gain that you are currently seeing.

- Deep Blue :)

DeepSouthTX,
Sometimes when shifting the sounders displayed range a false bottom can appear. Two ways that you can verify this is by changing the TX Rate or the displayed range depth. In the below screen shot I was shifting the displayed range then went full screen.

Snips

Attachments

• DSCF2474.JPG
    DSCF2474.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 362
Snips":1u4oy2m2 said:
DeepSouthTX,
Sometimes when shifting the sounders displayed range a false bottom can appear. Two ways that you can verify this is by changing the TX Rate or the displayed range depth. In the below screen shot I was shifting the displayed range then went full screen.

Snips

Thats it. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for the reply.

Back