SCX20 - TZ touch 3: No heading error

DreamMaker

Everything is working fine for over 1 year until 2 weeks ago, the tz3 display: "lost heading data from navpilot " (711C is switched to backup heading sensor); TZ3 intermittently display: "no heading..". All GPS coordinate from scx20 seems to be working, scx20 diagnostic all passed.Please help.
My setup: TZ3 16", radar, DFF3D, 275HLW, SCX20, nav pilot 711C

Tom

If it's not related to some magnetic storm happening, it might be related to wiring. It might be a good opportunity to check all your NMEA2000 connections, grounds, and/or wiring. If you have two sources of heading you might want to check the SENSOR LIST (home > settings > initial setup) to see if both sources of heading have been instanced properly with the SCX20 set to Instance 0, and the other one set to instance 1. Otherwise, you might want to remove the second heading source from the network to avoid data conflicts.

In addition, there's a recommended software update available for the TZ Touch 3 to 2.05. You might resolve the issue after updating to the latest software.

Hope this helps,

- Maggy

One day, for no reason, my TZT9F defaulted from the SCX20 back to the internal heading and internal position. I have no idea why, but i would get tons of errors with position as a result. My TZT12F on the same network maintained the primary source as being the SCX20.

When I checked the TZT9F for network and nmea2000 connectivity, all was fine.

Once i re-selected the heading source and position source as the SCX20, it was all back to normal...

i have no idea why that happened, lol.

mattology":3581dr3s said:
One day, for no reason, my TZT9F defaulted from the SCX20 back to the internal heading and internal position. I have no idea why, but i would get tons of errors with position as a result. My TZT12F on the same network maintained the primary source as being the SCX20.

When I checked the TZT9F for network and nmea2000 connectivity, all was fine.

Once i re-selected the heading source and position source as the SCX20, it was all back to normal...

i have no idea why that happened, lol.

I had a similar situation happen with my setup, ended up being someone kicked my breaker on the NMEA network, turned it back on after it was kicked and neglected to inform me until the end of the fishing trip. :think

gtstang462002":38qr95v8 said:
...ended up being someone kicked my breaker on the NMEA network... neglected to inform me until the end of the fishing trip ...

:cool

Yup,

- Maggy

Magnetron":2ha6yzs4 said:
If it's not related to some magnetic storm happening, it might be related to wiring. It might be a good opportunity to check all your NMEA2000 connections, grounds, and/or wiring. If you have two sources of heading you might want to check the SENSOR LIST (home > settings > initial setup) to see if both sources of heading have been instanced properly with the SCX20 set to Instance 0, and the other one set to instance 1. Otherwise, you might want to remove the second heading source from the network to avoid data conflicts.

In addition, there's a recommended software update available for the TZ Touch 3 to 2.05. You might resolve the issue after updating to the latest software.

Hope this helps,

- Maggy

Maggy:
I upgraded the tz3 software to 2.05; set SCX20 device instance to 0 and PG700 to 1, and SCX20 passes the diagnostic tests fine.
After upgrade, My TZ3 still complaints "no heading" intermittently; the auto pilot also complaints then switch to backup heading sensor.
I also notice the sensors source data display: SCX20 data shows wide range data in heading, altitude (pitch/roll), rate of turning - while the boat is in the slip, calm water... the sounder also display erratic bottom when "heaving is on"...
please advise. thanks

Tom

I never understood the cause but my SCX-20 also started dropping out last summer. Finally I just did a full factory reset on it and redid the complete setup process. It went back to normal and has worked normally since.

Try that if you haven’t yet. Not just settings reset, but a “hard” reset to factory condition.

So Step 1 would be reset the SCX20 with a cold start reset. (This can be performed with a TZ Touch 3). That could do it and you're back working again. Otherwise, if it comes back. Review the installation location (is there anything within the line-of-sight between the SCX20 and the open horizon?) If so, change compass location or orientation.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Magnetron":1w6kpypq said:
So Step 1 would be reset the SCX20 with a cold start reset. (This can be performed with a TZ Touch 3). That could do it and you're back working again. Otherwise, if it comes back. Review the installation location (is there anything within the line-of-sight between the SCX20 and the open horizon?) If so, change compass location or orientation.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

I tried factory reset SCX20 and setup again (multiple times) but it did not fix the problem. The SCX20 is mounted on the roof with clear sight of sky all around it.
The SCX20 passes all diagnostic tests. The GPS position data is working fine, but the heading, altitude, rate of turn... not working correctly. Is it possible SCX20 unit failed?

Tom

Is there any chance you turned off those PGNs in the output setup? You can check in setup mode for the SCX-20 with a TZT 3.

What do you see when you go to initial settings-data source (assuming PGNs are set to output)? Do you see any values?

Quitsa":2hj3u104 said:
Is there any chance you turned off those PGNs in the output setup? You can check in setup mode for the SCX-20 with a TZT 3.

What do you see when you go to initial settings-data source (assuming PGNs are set to output)? Do you see any values?

The SCX20 PGNs is set to default values, as highlighted in the manual. It looks like the TZ3 also has some outputs can be set to on/off. what is the recommended setting for those outputs? thanks

Tom

DreamMaker":2yy7fpk2 said:
Quitsa":2yy7fpk2 said:

The SCX20 PGNs is set to default values, as highlighted in the manual. It looks like the TZ3 also has some outputs can be set to on/off. what is the recommended setting for those outputs? thanks

Tom

The TZT 3 PGN output settings depend upon which other devices are on your NMEA 2000 network that might need the data to operate. For example, if you have an autopilot that has NMEA 2000 ports, you will need to output the navigation PGNs so you can steer to a waypoint or route selected on the TZT 3. Generally you only want to have the TZT 3 output the PGNs that are necessary because the fewer PGNs it outputs, the less opportunity there is for conflicts. Also some will be duplicative. If you have an SCX-20 satellite compass, it will be sending out GPS position, heading, SOG, and so on. There is no need to also have the TZT 3 send those PGNs. Your autopilot can get the heading data from the SCX-20 directly.

The other question I asked was what do you see when you go to "initial Settings"/Data source in the columns to the right? Does the SCX-20 show up as a data source?

DreamMaker":2x4z5q6l said:
Yes, the SCX20 is listed and selected as prefer in the data source list.

When you look at the data source settings page, do you see values in the data fields?

DreamMaker":22weoa45 said:

Okay, lets head back to basics once again.

In the dockside setup menu, let's navigate to the [CAN BUS SETUP] and select the device list. Let's just go ahead and disconnect the PG700 (if still installed, replace with a terminator if using the PG700's termination) and we just want to see the SCX20 populate here. If so, let's head on over to the [INCOMING CAN BUS DATA] and validate we're getting:

PGN129025
PGN129026
PGN129029

If not, we'll have to explore what's going on in your NMEA2000 bus.

- Maggy

Attachments

• download (11).jpg
    download (11).jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 411
Magnetron":60t1m9vr said:
DreamMaker":60t1m9vr said:

Okay, lets head back to basics once again.

In the dockside setup menu, let's navigate to the [CAN BUS SETUP] and select the device list. Let's just go ahead and disconnect the PG700 (if still installed, replace with a terminator if using the PG700's termination) and we just want to see the SCX20 populate here. If so, let's head on over to the [INCOMING CAN BUS DATA] and validate we're getting:

PGN129025
PGN129026
PGN129029

If not, we'll have to explore what's going on in your NMEA2000 bus.

- Maggy

Maggy: thanks for your advise, I still can't find the error myself.
attach pictures show my current setup files, would you please let me know if anything need change.
The Navpilot 711C still complaints missing heading alarm and change heading source to pg700; also Data source: attitude(Pitch/roll) = DFF3D (the sounder will shows erratic bottom reading if set to SCX20).

I'm sure the Furuno guys will have advice. However, when I look at your attachment, the first thing that comes to mind is that you should turn off the PGN output from the TZT 3 for Position, COG, GNSS position, vessel heading, and attitude. All of these PGNs would be output by the SCX-20 directly (assuming they are turned on in the SCX-20 settings, which they should be).

It is possible that the duplication of PGN outputs is creating a problem. You did not show the data source page that has speed and heading. I can see from the page you did post that the SCX-20 is outputting data. Also you will want to select the SCX-20 as the source for pitch and roll and for heaving correction. It is more accurate than the sensor in the B54 transducer.

Yes, ;)

The SCX20 provides all the POS data, no need to duplicate GPS with a MFD.
The PG700 may be confusing things by being present, I'm still suggesting it be removed if the SCX20 exists in the network.

Otherwise, see my previous post about checking the N2K network via the pilot control head side. :cool

edit:
If you want, you can post a log from your TZ for us to look over... (HOME > SETTINGS > INITIAL SETUP > NMEA2000 log) you'll need a USB Drive.

- Maggy

Back