SC-30 with IF-NMEA2K2

Nick

Furuno Super Fan
Hello everybody,

Need some advice and/or info.
JRC JLR20 was installed on board, which was destroyed by lightning. The JLR20 was used for autopilot, radar, plotter and AIS. I would like to replace it with SC30, but I don't have IF-NMEASC. I only have IF-NMEA2K2. The autopilot is Simrad AP50. I connected everything ok, and have heading on autopilot, but only when IF-NMEA2K2 "Normal" settings. When it is set to "High speed" the autopilot loses heading. I think that the AP50 not accept 38,400 bps but only 4,800. According to the IF-NMEA2K2 instructions, 4,800 bps is only available at the "Normal" settings, but at the same time the "update rate" is only 1s. Am I right? So, 1s update rate is slow for autopilot and my question is: is it possible to set IF-NMEA2K2 at 4,800 bps with a 100ms update rate? somehow?

Thanks
Nick

Nick":16bd8lpf said:
Am I right? So, 1s update rate is slow for autopilot and my question is: is it possible to set IF-NMEA2K2 at 4,800 bps with a 100ms update rate? somehow?

Some sentences can, some cannot. For example, RMC can be outputted as PGN 127250 @ 100ms. The table for these values are on P.7-8. It just all depends on what NMEA0183 sentence you want to output into CAN bus. Sounds like for this case you may have better luck either picking up a NMEA0183-style SCX21 sat compass to work with that Simrad AP, or upgrading to a NAVPILOT 300 and sticking with all NMEA2000. :cool

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Ok. Thank You, I understand that.
In this case, Canbus to NMEA0183 is required, no NMEA0183 to Canbus. NMEA0183 bps and update rate are important here.
Ok, what about IF-NMEASC? As I understand this is still available?
Can I set IF-NMEASC to output HDT with 10Hz/4800 bps?
Thanks
Nick

Nick":1ikxopv0 said:
Ok, what about IF-NMEASC? As I understand this is still available?

First check the interval output table (P. 7) to verify the IF-NMEASC can do what you need it to do. They're out of production, replaced by the SCX21 satellite heading sensor solution. However, so many of the IF-NMEASCs were made you could find one easily 'previously-owned' in the used market online or elsewhere (e.g., ebay).

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thank You Maggy,

I found one. And, just want to check, if You know. IF-NMEASC has built in termination?

Nick

Back