Saving and uploading bathymetry

ajax

Furuno Fan
In my old garmin/simrad world, I used and much enjoyed Navionics crowdsourced "sonar charts." In addition to being able to download and see updated charts that was based on other users who uploaded their sonar data, I was able to record my own sonar logs and navionics would upload those and incorporate them into the sonar charts. As a result, the chart data for the area where I live and boat was constantly being updated by not just me but my community of boaters doing the same.

My understanding is that Furuno does not have this same level of sharing with navionics.

Two questions:
1. What chart data should I use to get the best and most current sonar data for my area here on the coast of North Carolina?
2. Is it possible using that recommended chart data provider for me to log my sonar and have that provider use my data to update the charts that I am others are accessing?

Thanks in advance.

Salty Warrior

1. What chart data should I use to get the best and most current sonar data for my area here on the coast of North Carolina?
For that area, I would normally recommend the C-map bathy chart ($100 list) but if you plan to buy the C-map Navigation chart, you will automatically get the bathy for the same area for Free right now. If you are looking to buy; I suggest calling or opening a e-mail with Furuno support giving them a Lat/Lon that you would like to see some screenshot examples of. I think CMOR also has some coverage offshore in that area.
2. Is it possible using that recommended chart data provider for me to log my sonar and have that provider use my data to update the charts that I am others are accessing?
PBG is a new feature with TZT3 v2 but who knows what the future brings. At this time you can back up your PBG and restore it. There is no crowd sourcing of that data currently. If you were to share your file with your friend who has a TZT3, yes he could import your backup file.

I am surprised that none of the chart/bathy publishers have worked it out with Furuno to capture and upload sonar files yet. Navionics is apparently way ahead of the curve with Garmin and Simrad. Furuno should court Navionics a little harder. I love how their sonar maps are accurate for my bay now only because of crowdsourcing.

oh, how i wish my PBG could be uploaded to my TZ cloud / iboat so that i could look at my pbg files inside the house instead of at the helm being attacked and harassed by mosquitoes

oh, how i wish my PBG could be uploaded to my TZ cloud / iboat so that i could look at my pbg files inside the house instead of at the helm being attacked and harassed by mosquitoes

Amen, brother. It is 2021.

Back