Rudder Reference Unit

JimS

I have a 711c autopilot controlling my outboard motors currently using fantum feedback. If wind pushes me off course sufficiently the autopilot pump will get to the end of the hydraulic ram's travel and the pump will keep trying to steer since the pilot doesn't know it's reached the steering limit.

If I installed a Furuno Teleflex Linear Outboard Rudder Reference unit would that stop the pilot from trying to steer once it has reached the limit of it's travel? At that point, would it disengage the pilot or would it continue steering once the boat managed to correct its course?

Also, if I manually press the steering buttons and the steering goes hard over to the limits would the RRU stop the pump once it got to the steering limit?

Thanks,
Jim

Attaching a RRU to the 711c will stop it at the programmed limits. I am not completely familiar with the fantom feedback to know how it works to tell you if the RRU would correct all of your issues that you are describing.

Setup of Fantum feedback short of the stops would help but if you use the boat at low speeds particularly below 3 knots, you would need to get an RRU. Proper setup of the RRU would prevent the pilot operation from hitting the stops even with manual dodge operations.

Thank you for the replies. You answered the first question nicely. Can you tell me if when the autopilot reaches the end of travel allowed by the RRU, does it disengage the pilot or does the pilot remain engaged? In other words if the steering was hard over and the boat was slow to get back on course due to slow speed, but then it eventually corrected its course would the pilot continue steering or is it disengaged at this point and would have to be manually re-engaged?

Thanks,
Jim

JimS":1tzog3ao said:
Thank you for the replies. You answered the first question nicely. Can you tell me if when the autopilot reaches the end of travel allowed by the RRU, does it disengage the pilot or does the pilot remain engaged? In other words if the steering was hard over and the boat was slow to get back on course due to slow speed, but then it eventually corrected its course would the pilot continue steering or is it disengaged at this point and would have to be manually re-engaged?

Thanks,
Jim

I think if the rudder exceeded the full breadth of the RRU's limits than the pilot would error out with "*9" (star 9) or something and sound an alarm and go into STBY mode. This happens if the RRU fails or is disconnected due to water damage or something too.

- Maggy

Back