RSB-0072, PSU-005 and VX-1 dissplay

musicmanjer

Hello All,
I am a poor commercial fisherman who has a RDP-139 VX-1 system with the 72 mile RSB-0072 radar antenna.
I transported my VX-1 system from California to Hawaii to install on my commercial fishing boat. I have run all the wires correctly, fused everything and put the display and PSU-005 on the same circuit/switch. I have installed other marine electronics many times in the past with no issues.
I went to power on the display and it does not power on. I have checked my connections, confirmed polarity and 12vdc power on pins 1 & 2 and cannot get the display to power up. Prior to shipping out the system, I bench checked the display several times and it powered up with no issue. It did not sustain any shipping damage and ZI packed well with bubble wrap and screen protector.
Is there something internally that could have disconnected? Are pins 2&3 (-12vdc and shiield) on the power connector bonded together and the unit needs that to power up, or????
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Mahalo and Aloha

The display is indicating that it senses a short and refuses to power on. When you connected the power cable, you put the WHITE to + and the BLACK to - (neg) ? If that is wired correct, disconnect the radar connection on the back of the display and try again.

Thanks Johnny,
You are partially correct. I found the issue. First, the VX-1 was wired correctly, however, the inline fuse I was using put too much resistance on the wire causing voltage to be only 9.7vdc, which the unit would not power on to because it was less than 12.4vdc. Now the fun begins on dialing in the radar settings!

Lesson learned, check continuity through all power interrupters prior to permanent connection.

I have a second question and will post another thread.

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Back