reLatest Software and firmware for DRS4W

ortessa

Our DRS4W is a year old. We have TZ charts and with radar overlay. Soon to add AIS using Digital Yacht iAISTX.

What is the latest software and firmware please? Will updated firmware improve performance?

2 miles seems to be the limit of the DRS4W's capabilities in calm weather... this seems low. Are there any tweaks to improve range and sensitivity?

v1.05 software is the current version. If your unit is over 5 years old, you could be running old software and might update using the procedures and software posted under the DRS4W product support page. By the sound of it, your radar has something mounted near it that is getting RF reflections and causing the radar to lose performance. Because this radar is automatic it needs to be clear around it so that it doesn't get RF reflections from items on the boat. If you only have a mast behind it, it is very important to sector blank out the mast (para 3.4.5) because you might be getting reflections from it. You won't see through the mast anyways. It is X-band radar not Xray. 2nm is not good and if it has always been that way, you can bet the radar is getting reflections from something.

Thanks for the reply.

The DRS4W is mounted on a 10' Scanstrut on the flybridge hard top. (We removed a 6' Furuno antenna array system so as to install solar panels. The DRS4W dome was the right size.

The DRS4W radome is at least 12" above the solar panels.

You will see a 1.5" sloping mast head light mount to the rear of the solar panel.

Any comments? Photos were taken during a test installation of everything.

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

The radar energy might not be good for the solar panels. I have seen a similar install where the panels reflected energy back at the radar completely stopping the auto modes to work properly. The radar is back way too far on the top. The RF energy is digging down into the boat top instead of the water in front of the boat. If it works well there, I would still be a little concerned as the panels get hit by the radar energy. The masthead light structure isn't seen well but you might need to put in a sector blank zone for that area so you don't reflect RF off it. You can't see through masts and objects anyways so no use bouncing RF off it. I am starting to see why you only get 2 miles of returns. I would highly recommend relocation of the radar.

Our DRS4W is a year old. We have TZ charts and with radar overlay. Soon to add AIS using Digital Yacht iAISTX.

What is the latest software and firmware please? Will updated firmware improve performance?

2 miles seems to be the limit of the DRS4W's capabilities in calm weather... this seems low. Are there any tweaks to improve range and sensitivity?
Following on we have been very disappointed with the performance of the DRS4W... and have taken note of Jonny electron's comments regarding placement on the aluminium flybridge roof. However boat was desighed 40 years ago and the radar's position is governed by this.

Playing around with the installation settings we have moved the contrast to 3 and use night settings. This made some improvement. However turning OFF jamming has improved the performance 100%. I'd like to say it works quite well up to 2 miles.

What exactly is jamming and why would turning it OFF iimporve the performance of the radar so much?

Thanks.

I agree the terminology is odd. It is roughly a type of interference rejection. It changes the transmission slightly so that it can move away from other transmissions that might be jamming or interfering with your radar signal. It is on by default but like you, some find it is better turned OFF. The DRS4W doesn't have a lot a settings for the user. While they keep it simple, it also has less flexibility when encountering reflections or interference. The use or non-use of Jamming is something users should definitely try to find what works best. Placement is important as one can't change the basics of physics. It is X-band not X-ray. Reflections and possible damage to other items like near GPS is always a concern whenever considering mounting when dealing with RF.

Back