Rebooting when engine is started

davepjr71

Furuno Fan
Hi, I had my unit installed by my boat dealership. Yesterday was the 1st day I've had to get the boat on the water. Unit booted up fine during initial start-up. however, the next time I stopped my engine and then restarted the unit rebooted. It did this every time after. What can be causing this issue? The boat has a duel battery switch system but I don't know if it's wired with a starter and house or the house is right off the switch so it wouldn't matter what position the switch is in. Thanks.

It sounds like u need a power conditioner. This problem on boats is more common than you think. I suggest a newmar StartGuard.

Thanks, I think I'll start with the rewire of the switches if it requires buying more stuff to make the Furuno work right. If that doesn't cut it I'll get the conditioner.

You don't mention what boat you have but if it is like mine, a 46 Bertram, I don't have separate engine and service battery banks. Each engine has its own batteries and the various electrical components have been connected via panels that have two groups of circuit breakers fed by each battery group. There have been times when the surge required for starting engines has brought the voltage down enough to have what you are experiencing but mainly with my radar. I also had problems with electric fishing rods fed by 24V to 12V converters that are extremely sensitive (electronics) and would have quite a bit of problems when starting a retrieve and just stop working. My installer correctly identified the problem as a surge creating enough voltage drop to create these types of problems with sensitive electronic circuits. Changed to much thicker wires and still had problems but totally solved by installing condensers in the line to compensate for the momentary drop. Might be a solution also for sensitive electronics in your case. Maybe the more technical folk here can comment if this makes any sense. Sometimes, when engines are cold and your batteries are a little tired the problem can be more frequent. I also replaced all my batteries, chargers and converters but the the only thing that solved the electric reel problem were the condensers.

Rolando

Startguard units have been around for many years for these types of problems and not isolated to Furuno products needing them. Bad power is... bad power. DC power levels should not drop (Even for very short periods of time..ie when starting your engines) or have AC noise running on them during unit operations.

i to have just installed a new touch 2 unit in place of the nn3d and have the same problem..the nn3d never did this so i would think there is an issue with the touch unit

jim

Back