RDP-149 connection to AP24

36pacifica

Mr. Electron:
Trying to connect my RDP-149 VX2 to a Simrad AP24 pilot/RC42 compass. Want the pilot to steer course to point on plotter. Have the AT10 with simnet cable and the furuno cable in data 2 or data 3 of RDP-149. i can't get the pilot or plotter to see the each other. i connected the shield of Furuno cable to gnd of AC12 still no go. I've gone back and forth between talker/listener configurations and still no go. Do i need to change the SNTNC code? will it appear in the port test to show NMEA IN/OUT? Do you have any suggestions?
after many, many hours at my wicks end. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dave

The first thought is you are not allowed to take heading into any port other than the dedicated heading port on these units. In case of the RDP149, that is data port three. That said the heading coming from the pilot (NMEA 0183 I guess via your converter) should be wired into the NMEA 0183 input wires of data three. (White (+) and Black (-)) of the six pin data cable going into data three. The output steering instructions of the plotter (RDP149) would normally come out from data two via the (White (+) and Black (-)) via another 6 pin data cable. The NMEA data two port would be setup to output the required NMEA 0183 data sentence to drive the pilot. These would normally be APB, RMB, RMC, XTE, GGA, and ZDA. You might have to double check that with Simrad on what their pilot likes to see. Once wire and setup, it should work fine. Simrad also might require you to setup the converter to be your NavSource in the setting.

Thanks so much. Unable to get working, contacted Simrad for their data sentencing, still no luck. Then i checked the voltage of the White and Black from Furuno cable in data 2, less than 1 volt and not + then -. i have now taken the unit to a Furuno dealer to check if it can be repaired. i really appreciate your help and thank Furuno for having this board available, helps so many of us.
PS I'll let you know the results of the test on the unit.
thanks again!

Yes if you have NMEA 0183 sentences on, it should have been fluxing around 2.5v or 3v. It does sound like you might have an output port problem. Thanks for the nice comments.

Back