RDP-139 Map and Sounder not reading

B

Bandit

I have an RDP-139 display and normally run in Plotter for my location plus a digital readout for my depth on the screen. Radar normally turned off unless needed.

While out suddenly my map and depth stopped reading in Plotter mode. I switched to sounder only on my screen and was able to see my depth as I travelled home. I also have a small repeater downstairs and it gave me what seems to be proper lat/long location and speed over ground but does not have depth on the menu that I can see.

I did pull and reinstalled the chip, pulled and reinstalled all connectors on back of the display to no avail.

Suggestions?

It sounds like your depth source selection got changed. When is the last time you changed the internal battery of the display? If the depth is from an external sounder (not network sounder) then your depth source should be set to NMEA not ETR.

Not sure when battery was changed it would have been prior to my ownership 2 years ago. Will read up on what is required to replace it.

This is the only sounder and Appears the transducer is plugged in to a network sounder model ETR-6/10N

My plotter is not working as well, screen comes up the same with or without the chip and my location is not viewable.

It sounds like your display has lost all the user settings. This is typically because the internal battery has gone bad. The battery is needed to keep all your display settings in the display. You might want to have the dealer check it out. The manual says to change the battery every 3-5 years. We find it normally lasts about 8 years on average. If you sounder is your depth source then it should be set to ETR. You must ensure the sounder is seeing good bottom. If you don't have bottom, then you won't have depth. The sounder must see bottom.

Thanks, I will check the ETR setting and look for a local dealer to change the battery. I am seeing my depth when I change my display to sounder only. It is the graphic display that I would use for fishing (If I fished) but not in a digital readout in the DBox when using the plotter map.

Then you should only need to ensure your depth source is selected to ETR, then if the data box is still not showing depth when you have a good established bottom on the sounder; lower your BL (Bottom Level) adjustment for the HF and LF. They are much like a squelch on a radio. If set to high you get nothing. I would suggest the BL be set to -20 for both HF and LF. The depth source is most likely the problem though.

I had a technician come to the boat and he restored my settings which changed themselves for some unknown reason and the system is now back to normal. I did lose history but that is fine by me.

Back