RD-33 Missing 0183 Output option

aquabelle

Furuno Super Fan
The current RD-33 Manual (version E downloaded from the Furuno site) shows the page I have attached. On the RD-33, it should be found at Menu>I/O/>SetUp>Data Source.

My RD-33 does not show the sentence I have highlighted (NMEA 0183 Output Mode....).

Is this a firmware issue (mine is v01.06) or is there something elsewhere that I need to turn on to bring this up?

( I am hoping to use my RD33 to convert autopilot nav info PGN's (129-283/+284) from my TZT14 to 0183 for my older autopilot, so I don't also need to buy an IF-NMEA2 translator. Please let me know if this is not feasible, irrespective of firmware issues!)

thanks

Attachments

• RD33 Manual 5.4 Extract.pdf
    229.3 KB · Views: 95
Your software is about five versions behind. The newest version is v1.11 but not currently available with uploader/sensor update. I will ask Japan if they can give us an uploader version otherwise it would most likely need to visit the service center for update. The idea to have it as a data bridge for your navigation data to the pilot might be possible. I guess you won't know 100% until you try it but looking at the bridging sentences it looks like it would work.

That link goes to the software history that shows the most recent version as v1.10 not v1.11?

You are looking at an old buffered version where you opened it in the past. If you refresh your page or flush the buffer it should show the newer history document. Basically it made a change to the ROT graphic screen that had problems with high speed ROT. If you haven't had problems and at 1.10; it most likely isn't worth your time upgrading.

Wanted to close this out with an update. Returned my RD-33 to local dealer for a firmware update (nominal charge; now at current version v1.11). Back on board, ensured the TZT14 was outputting the relevant N2K Navigation PGNs. Using the RD-33's I/O output menu, selected 'NMEA2000 Output'. Used the NMEA0183 port on the RD-33 to make a connection to one of the two input ports on my 0183 pilot. Am now able to activate a route or use Go To on the TZT14 and the autopilot will respond.

It's great that the RD-33 has this two-way N2K/0183 conversion functionality...which was an integral part of the NN3D system but wasn't maintained in the subsequent TZT and later systems. It is a very handy instrument all round.

Back