R599 transducer install

semien1

Installing a new in box airmar r599 transducer in my 31 Bertram Sport Fisher. The most comfortable place for this install is in the Bilge between the 2 main engines. One other tight area for install is in the forward cabin with a very tight fit because of m260 transducer in that bilge. I heard that a Blackfin owner installed his r599 in a similar bilge with no problems. Does any one have any thoughts concerning that install in the engine area bilge. Much appreciated.
Thank you..
Tugboat Mike
Semien1

semien1,
Yes you can mount that R599 in-hull transducer in your vessel’s engine room, Just ensure that you are mounting the transducer forward of the engines and as close as possible to the centerline of the vessel's hull.

When it comes to Sounder or Fish Finder performance, I favor the wet faced thru-hull transducers over that of the in-hull transducers. Just my humble opinion...

- Deep Blue :)

I would think that the very thick hull on a Bertram would have serious performance issues on the shoot-trough, right?

Doesn't look like that boat has much of a keel, so it might be OK as long as the transducer stays wet.
If the hull is cored, don't do it. Only solid glass.
You will gain performance if you don't have to shoot through fiberglass and bottom paint, particularly at higher frequencies.

Back