Questions regarding the GP1971F...

89Nole

I've had the FCV582L on my boat since it was brand new in 2006. Machine still works great but my old chartplotter/radar has given up the ghost and it's time to move on.

Is there any chance the transom mount 50/200 transducer from the 582 will work with the 1971?

Also, the 1971 apparently doesn't require an external GPS antenna but I'm wondering how well it'll work underneath the hard top on a Scout 280.

Thanks in advance!

Your existing transducer will work. You did not identify the model, however, I assume it is a conventional non-CHIRP 50/200 and thus would continue to operate in fixed frequency mode with a GP1971. If you are happy with its performance, it would likely end up looking very much like what you see now with the FCV582L.

I have TZT 3s under a hardtop that has carbon fibre and thus is a challenging environment for signals and also has a second layer above from the tower sunshade. The internal GPS works fine nevertheless. I don't rely on it because I have an SCX-20 satellite compass that is the primary source of GPS data. I suggest you install the GP1971 and see how well it does. I suspect it will work but if it doesn't adding a GPS receiver on top should be relatively cheap and easy.

What are you doing for radar? Only the wireless DRS4W works with the GP1971, not the regular NavNet radars. You would need a heading sensor to have radar overlay. Perhaps you already have one if you have an autopilot.

Excellent info! Thanks for responding.

My current transducer is an Airmar P66 non-chirp 50/200. I've always been completely satisfied with its performance and typically run it on split screen when bottom fishing so that I can use the bottom lock feature.

I have a GP32 that's been my primary GPS. Great little machine. I'll be moving it from the dash to the electronics box.

Plan is to purchase and install a DRS4W radar since my last radome succumbed to a hurricane damaged oak limb from Hurricane Michael.

Excellent info! Thanks for responding.

My current transducer is an Airmar P66 non-chirp 50/200. I've always been completely satisfied with its performance and typically run it on split screen when bottom fishing so that I can use the bottom lock feature.

I have a GP32 that's been my primary GPS. Great little machine. I'll be moving it from the dash to the electronics box.

Plan is to purchase and install a DRS4W radar since my last radome succumbed to a hurricane damaged oak limb from Hurricane Michael.
I have always found it slightly amusing that people get so drawn in to the latest and greatest products such as CHIRP sounders. My small boat has a P66 tilted element driven by the internal TZT2 sounder, which is very similar to your 582L. I have been using that transduce r for 16 years now (with an earlier Furuno sounder before the TZT2). It does an excellent job marking fish in the near shore waters of less than 100 feet where I use that boat. My bigger boat has an expensive pair of B175H and B175L CHIRP transducers driven by a TZT3 internal sounder., Is it better? Well, yes there is certainly some more detail and the low frequency works in much deeper water and the high frequency can be used in over 400 feet. But inshore, it really isn't that much better and I could easily manage with a P66 and not miss much.

I use a P66 non-chirp and a GP1971F on a 23 CC with a hard top. I fish offshore NC to about 1000ft and inshore as well. I have absolutely no issues with the internal GPS antenna, and it always get a fix in less than 20 seconds. The P66 and GP1971F are an outstanding combination. I would expect nothing less from Furuno and Airmar.

Back