Purpose of TLL output from 1623?

bajaking

I'm installing a 1623 that came with an older sailboat I recently acquired. It's my first radar unit and I look forward to adding radar to my nav skillset.
I'm also getting into networking all my electronics together, and trying to understand what my options are for the 1623.
Can someone explain the typical use case for the 0183 TLL output sentence?

When the 1623 has GPS and heading information it can determine the Lat/Lon of where the cursor is on the screen. If you put the cursor and hit the Mark key (para 1-24), it can put out what is called TLL (Target Lat/Lon). It is the Lat/Lon of the target where your cursor location is. The plotter receiving the NMEA 0183 TLL must support it. Many Furuno plotters support that feature. There are some low cost companies that I won't name that don't support TLL as a function on any equipment. You must ensure the feature at both ends for it to work.

That's kind of what I figured, thanks for confirming, Johnny.
In a world where my primary screen is a chartplotter/MFD or tablet, I guess the utility of this is that I can mark something of radar interest (i.e. danger) on the 1623, and then see that mark on my chartplotter where it (obviously) is in the context of a chart. So for example, instead of eyeballing a cluster on the radar and guessing it's in the same place as a buoy I'm seeing on the chartplotter, I can mark it and then actually see it on the plotter to confirm it is (or isn't!) the buoy. Got it.
If I'm missing something, please let me know!

Yes that is one purpose. Another would be keeping an eye on other fisherman and marking the point when you see they have been having very good luck in a particular area. (Then go back yourself on another day and see if you have the same luck..lol)

Ah, good point! That could be useful. And also marking floating, abandoned shipping containers marked "Highly valuable contents"!

Back