problem with GP1871F

seabird

Hi,

I'm stuck with this issue, please help: I installed GP1871F sounder with 525-5PWD transducer in my boat. They were both working fine in separate boats before. The sounder does not detect the bottom, it keeps searching from 5m to 20m, 100m, 1000 m... this happens both at sea and in port (-3m depth)...

I checked the sounder in another boat with a similar transducer (600watt 50/200), and seems to work fine, it detects the bottom (at -3 m) . So I deduced (following advice in other threads) that it must be the transducer that is not working. I bought a new 525-5PWD, attached it to the sounder, but I still have the same problem, it does not detect the bottom...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_20240705_211727.jpgIMG_20240705_211731.jpgIMG_20240705_211734.jpg

Last edited:
Have you selected the proper transducer in the menu?
If you tested the display in another boat with a known good transducer, then I would expect your display to be good. Are you using an extension cable for the transducer? Did you purchase a "new" used transducer or new in the box?

seabird,

I agree with FishTech, it does appear that that the setting for the correct transducer was not selected... :unsure:

- Deep Blue

Thanks guys,
I did select the right transducer on the settings, and the one I bought is brand new in the box. I use the cable that comes with it (around 7m or so, no extension needed).
I played around this weekend with it on a pole, and managed to detect the bottom (sometimes) by fixing the depth range (to 5m) and setting Gain to Manual, at the maximum 100%. In this condition, I can see the muddy floor on the screen. However the sounder not always is able to provide a depth value (sometimes it does, not others). In auto range mode, it still fails to find the bottom (the problem I explained above). Is that normal...?
I attach a pic where it does provide a depth value, another one where it doesn't ...
Thanks in advance for any help,

IMG_20240707_133643.jpgIMG_20240707_193112.jpg

I was at the marina... Now I tried at sea and it worked reasonably well on rocky bottom.
I started at 6 m, soft botom, and no depth was provided. But then I moved to 15 m, rocky bottom, and all good (depth provided, fish detected). Sometimes the depth range would increase (from 20 to 80m) for a couple seconds (with AutoRange OFF).
Then at 30 m, rock, all good again. I just dont know why... any clue?
I selected Bottom discrimination ON and then it seemed to be in autorange mode all the time (though I had selected it OFF). Zooming would work only for a couple seconds.
Good to see some good pics after all, though it is frustrating not to know what is going on... Any hint would be wellcome.
thanks

Ensure you don't run Bottom Discrimination (BD) and AccuFish both at the same time. One or the other. What photos you have shown so far looks like you are picking up noise. Noise can be on the power line, induced into cables, or picked up as sound like the transmitted signal. Checking the power and grounding is always recommended when noise is seen.

Back