Partial upgrade from NN3D

wkearney99

Furuno Super Fan
Pardon the multiple posts, I'm trying to avoid a WALL OF TEXT asking too many questions at once.

I have a four station NN3D setup with 2 MFD12 at each location. I'm looking to upgrade one of the MFS12's at each station.

The DRS4 radome has been intermittent and I've been wanting better radar anyway. So now I have a suitable excuse for the wife.

I don't plan on doing all four because, well, it'd be more money than I want to spend right now and they're not broken.

I realize the NN3D and TZT3 chartplotters can't be on the same Ethernet network. I don't plan on trying to share anything on them via Ethernet.

I plan on having the two MFD12s communicate with each other directly via their own separate Ethernet. They're going to hang around as backups providing raster chart display and past tracking data, along with added display for positioning info. I've gotten used to having info spread across different displays and can't see any reason not to continue with it that way.

I have an FA50 providing AIS. I plan on connecting this with the two new TZT3 displays and radar via Ethernet.

I also have other N2K devices, DST800 for depth, WX200 for weather, GP300B for GPS, and PG-700 for heading.

The question is what can't I share between the new and the old?

Can I simply leave an MFD12 connected to the same N2K network with the TZT3 and have it act as the gateway to the other MFD12, as I've been doing now? I've been having the master MFD12 accept N2K data and share that to the other 3 MFD12's. Now it'll just be sharing with one.

Or is there something I've not understood about other conflicts that might arise?

Understand, that I only plan to have ONE MFD12 connected to the N2K network, and that I do not plan on having it transmit anything ONTO that N2K network. Just accept data from the network and pass that along to the other MFD12.

Can I simply leave an MFD12 connected to the same N2K network with the TZT3 and have it act as the gateway to the other MFD12, as I've been doing now? I've been having the master MFD12 accept N2K data and share that to the other 3 MFD12's. Now it'll just be sharing with one.
Yes the MFD connected to the 2000 bus will share the information with the others on the NN3D network.

Understand, that I only plan to have ONE MFD12 connected to the N2K network, and that I do not plan on having it transmit anything ONTO that N2K network. Just accept data from the network and pass that along to the other MFD12.
It is okay for the NN3D to send data to the 2000 network, if there is good reason.

Back