Old 1751 with radar video problem

A

Anonymous

Folks,

I've got a 20 year old 1751 with a radar video problem. It has worked well for the past several years then the radar video seemed to deteriorate during this year.

Good things:
1. The "tune" level is consistently high.
2. The basic numbers and display grid is fine.
3. NMEA input is properly displayed (including displaying the current waypoint).
4. The radar has a total of about only 100 transmit hours.

Bad things:
1. Sometimes no radar video display; sometimes good radar video display.
2. One time when no radar video display I left the radar in Transmit mode for about 4 hours (at the dock) and sometime during that 4 hour period the radar video display appeared.
3. Most recently, the radar video display shows a solid green sweep with no detail, but if I fiddle with the front panel controls the solid green will momentarily go away and I can see the real radar video objects displayed.

So, this seems to be an intermittent and deteriorating problem.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Thanks,

Bob St John

One of the worst things for a radar is not using it. It sounds like the IF amp board in the scanner is having problems or the video processing in the display is. Although this is an older unit, we have parts and it can still be repaired. I would send the unit into the Furuno service center to have it evaluated.

Johnny,

Good information and solid advice . . . sending it to the Furuno Service Center for analysis and repair (I hope) is exactly what I am going to do.

I'll follow-up in this forum after I do the above.

Thanks,

Bob St John

Folks,

Update . . .

I returned my "misbehaving" 1751 to Furuno for analysis as Johnny Electron recommended. Unfortunately, the unit has a defective Processor Board and Furuno no longer has replacements for the Processor Board.

My unit is a 1751. I know of a 1751 MARK-2 that is for sale. Is the 1751 MARK-2 physically compatible with the 1751? Specifically, will the radar antenna, cabling, and connector (to the display) that worked with the 1751 also work with the 1751 MARK-2?

Thanks,

Bob St John

Back