Odd Behavior - Simulation, Fish on Track, Radar

This weekend had some odd thing happen with the system that has always worked well before. On the way home, after spending the weekend on a mooring:

1. When the unit was turned on, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't showing a GPS fix after a few minutes - I almost just ran home on a compass heading in from 30 miles offshore. Finally something flashed "simulation". I was able to figure out how to turn the "manual simulation" off and everything looked normal for a while. Not a big deal but odd...

2. Then, these little fish icons started showing up on my track. I've since read the manual and don't see any reference to fish icons on the track. There are options for sea surface temp, depth, etc. but I didn't see one for fish icons....and I'd like to turn that off.
IMG_20190728_083646828.jpg

3. Radar was wonky - It took a reboot of everything to get it back. It never said radar connection was lost or anything. I still need to tune the radar overlay to the charts (on my list of to do's).
IMG_20190728_083528627.jpg

Voltage was good. I didn't really know what else to check.

You have a lot of different things going on. It think it would be best to contact Tech Support while you are on the boat. It appears you have your accufish symbols turned On causing yourself an operational error. They will show on the plotter and then fade away as they age. If you don't want them On, they can be turned off.

In regards to the GPS, you might have a developing problem or a configuration issue with your GPS. If your setup GPS doesn't provide GPS in a fixed amount of time within power up the display will offer to go into demo mode; which you can say YES or NO to. This won't come up unless the display is powered on without GPS data. The GPS data could be delayed because the "Preferred" source is not providing GPS in a timely fashion. This might be because the installer has not picked the correct preferred source in the Data Source setup. If a good GPS source is picked and you have clear view of the sky (not under cover) the GPS should establish a fix. You might look under your setup to ensure your preferred source is a good one and that it is showing good data. When it does, both CURRENT and PREFERRED will match devices for the Position source item. If your GPS takes too long or doesn't get a fix, you should look at the placement of your GPS antenna to ensure it isn't near an AIS or VHF whip or inside the radar beam. Antenna placement is important.

Radar overlay needs heading. Not much to adjust with the radar as long as you provide correct heading data. Compass placement is also very important.

Good luck.

No issues this last weekend on our trip - everything went aways

Johnny Electron":1t825pmf said:
It appears you have your accufish symbols turned On causing yourself an operational error. They will show on the plotter and then fade away as they age. If you don't want them On, they can be turned off.

I will search for this in the menus. It would be nice to know where it is in case it happens again.

In regards to the GPS, you might have a developing problem or a configuration issue with your GPS. If your setup GPS doesn't provide GPS in a fixed amount of time within power up the display will offer to go into demo mode; which you can say YES or NO to. This won't come up unless the display is powered on without GPS data. The GPS data could be delayed because the "Preferred" source is not providing GPS in a timely fashion. This might be because the installer has not picked the correct preferred source in the Data Source setup. If a good GPS source is picked and you have clear view of the sky (not under cover) the GPS should establish a fix. You might look under your setup to ensure your preferred source is a good one and that it is showing good data. When it does, both CURRENT and PREFERRED will match devices for the Position source item. If your GPS takes too long or doesn't get a fix, you should look at the placement of your GPS antenna to ensure it isn't near an AIS or VHF whip or inside the radar beam. Antenna placement is important.
I'm only using the internal GPS within the TZT2 and have never [in the past] had a problem with getting a fix - even under a tree and under a cover at home in the driveway. Also, there was no question / on-screen prompt saying it was about to go into demo mode. At least I will know what to do next time.

Radar overlay needs heading. Not much to adjust with the radar as long as you provide correct heading data. Compass placement is also very important.

I was more talking about the fact that the radar just wasn't showing anything but some large random pixels. It should have been picking up the breakwaters perfectly (though probably off a bit due to my heading sensor not being full commissioned. This a pic of those same breakwaters outbound.

Next time, I will unplug my heading sensor and will align the radar, then I will calibrate the heading sensor (I just haven't had a calm day in a large bay yet to do so).

Attachments

• download_20190705_092223.jpg
    download_20190705_092223.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 966
Back