Octopus pump size question

Divedog

I ordered a Navpilot 300 and safehelm2 package but need help on deciding which size pumpoct to order.

My boat is a 25’ Randon with a small pilot house powered by a single mercruiser diesel 300hp D-tronic. Single helm station (Teleflex 2.4 cu. In.) Bravo 2X outdrive with power assist steering. According to the manual 56 degree turn to turn stop.

I currently have the following:
TZTL12F
PG700
F170
DRS4NXT

From what ive read on this forum and Furuno website the Navpilot 700 and HRP pumps would be redundant and over kill since my outdrive already has power assist.

I dont have access to the boat for another week to check the hydraulic steering ram capacity but hopefully based on the above info can you guide me in the right direction as to which of the three size Pumpoct offered by Furuno I will need?

Unfortunately ram size is key determining factor needed to select the right pump to use. If you browse the OCT 10-12 pump, for example, it pumps 1.0 Cubic Inches per second for Ram sizes from 7-12 Cubic Inches in volume.

This is important, only because a too large sized pump might push the fluid too quickly (too sensitive steering) or a too small sized pump might push the fluid too slowly (non-responsive steering).

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thanks for the quick reply. Out of everything ive read so far on auto pilot pumps your explanation makes the most sense to me. Im going to just have to wait until I can inspect my hydraulic steering rams next week for this information.

Steve

Ok so I got the information from my steering ram and it seems like I might be in between the Oct06-12 and the Oct10-12. Im not sure which one to purchase and hoping you can advise me which would be the one to buy.

My steering ram is a Seastar/Teleflex model 125-8EMV. Part # HC5328
8" stroke with a max of 17 1/4"
8.5 cu in volume

The OCT06-12 is 0.6 cu in per second (for ram sizes less than 8 cu in in volume) and for 5 to 9 cu in displacement

The OCT10-12 is 1.0 cu in per second (for ram sizes from 7-12 cu in volume) and for 9.1 to 15 cu in displacement.

I cant find any info giving me the cu in per second for my Seastar model but going by volume it looks to me that im in the top range of the Oct06-12 and the low range of the Oct10-12.

any advise would be very helpful before I order a pump.

Between the two, I would go with the bigger sized pump. The reason being are unknown variables; it's probably best to have an overrated pump that is only used at half capacity, than to all of the sudden need a bigger pump (for any reason), but the one installed is running at 75%+.

OCT10-12 is a great pump.

Hope this helps, :sail

-Maggy

Thanks Maggy, Thats kinda of what I thought. I ended up talking to John Clayton yesterday and he advised the same. Also I did contact Seastar support and they couldn't tell me anything about the rams cu in per second specs. Only said to tell Furuno its a "type 1. and the same spec information I already had and listed above. Not much help from them but I think the OCT 10-12 should be good.

Thanks again.

Steve

Back