NP711C stuck in “demo mode”

Bart

I’ve had this problem for awhile. Whenever I power on my 711C it goes into “demo mode” and I cannot get into the menu or anything. When I press any button I get two beeps and that is all. I decided to update the software to the current version to see if that might correct this problem. I was able to successfully update the processor software to V1.27 but when I attempt to update the controller software I get “controller missing” messages for all 6 controllers. So it appears the controller and processor aren’t communicating with each other. I’ve checked the connection on the back of the controller and even tried reversing the cable connection and the terminator with no luck. I’ve checked the wiring into TB8 on the processor and to be sure I removed the wiring, cut, stripped and re-inserted into the wiring block to make sure there are good connections. Still no luck. I also tried moving the jumper for TB8 to 3/4 and plugging the controller into the B port and still no luck. It always boots into demo mode and each time I attempt to update the controller software I get the “controller missing” messages for all 6 controllers.

Has anybody had this issue and been able to come up with a resolution. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Control bus B won't work unless you have at least one control with termination on control A, then you also need to change jump J104 to enable both buses. If me, I would take J104 to run just bus A, then remove anything connected to bus B. With bus A, I would connect just one control head with Jumper. Get that working first before adding more to the bus. If software is not matched the unit will go into demo mode. If the cable or bus is bad, the unit will go into demo mode.

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your response. I probably wasn’t very clear in my original post. My system has only a single controller. I only tried using control bus B in an attempt to try and get the controller to talk to the processor. I couldn’t tell by reading the manual that bus B would only work if bus A has a controller connected. As of right now, I have j104 connected to pins 1/2, the controller cable connected to bus A, and nothing connected to bus B. The control cable is connected to my single controller and there is a terminator. I understand I have a software mismatch now so I would expect it to go into demo mode as you mentioned. But when I attempt to update the controller software I’m getting the message “controller 1 missing” on my laptop. So it seems to me that it probably is either a bad cable or bad bus on the processor. I don’t have a spare cable so is there any way for me to use a meter to test the cable and/or the bus on the processor? If it turns out to be a bad bus on the processor is that something that is repairable or would I be forced to replace the entire processor unit?

Thank you again for any help you can offer.

Bart

But when I attempt to update the controller software I’m getting the message “controller 1 missing” on my laptop. So it seems to me that it probably is either a bad cable or bad bus on the processor.
I agree, mostly.
I don’t have a spare cable so is there any way for me to use a meter to test the cable and/or the bus on the processor?
Yes disconnect the cable at both ends and use a paperclip or shorting wire from the cable shield to test the wire at one end while OHM-ing out the wire between shield and the test wire at the other end. Test each wire for continuity. Then remove any shorting wiring and test each wire to ensure no wire is shorted to another. That should tell you if the cable is good or not. It won't account for twists in the cable (which can act as an inductor and filter high speed communication) but it should find most problems if it is with the cable.
If it turns out to be a bad bus on the processor is that something that is repairable or would I be forced to replace the entire processor unit?
It would have to be evaluated. Sometimes they can replace just a component. Worst case you replace the main board (which isn't cheap). I have never saw a processor go bad for this, it is almost more likely to be the display than the processor. The displays can be in the weather and if the cover isn't used they can go early due to heat/sun/water.

Thanks Johnny. I’m going to get a meter on that cable today and see if that’s my problem. One quick question about the NavPilot 711C. Does this autopilot require an external heading sensor, or does it have its own internal sensor? I’ve recently lost heading data on my MFD8, but I don’t believe there is any external sensor connected to my system. This is a recently purchased boat and prior to all these problems, I had both GPS and heading data on my MFD8.

On another note, I just posted an NMEA 20000 issue I’m having on my MFD8 on the NN3D section of the forum and would really appreciate it if you could take a look at that also. I’m not sure if this is all related, but I can tell you that everything was working fine when I purchased the boat so I’m thinking something has triggered these problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Bart

Follow up. I put the meter on the controller cable and have good continuity on all pins and no shorts. I also checked the cable run for any kinks or twists and it seems pretty straight. So it appears the problem is not the cable. Do you have any other suggestions that I can try? Just to be sure after checking the cable I plugged my laptop in and attempted to update the controller and still get the “controller 1 missing” message.

Thanks again for your help,

Bart

It sounds like the wiring is good. I would recommend sending in the control head and the processor into the service center for evaluation. Maybe they can get the display to update. The NP711 normally used the PG700 compass that sits on the NMEA 2000 bus with the pilot. The NP711 processor doesn't have any sort of internal compass. I will take a look at your MFD8 post in a few.

Hi Johnny. I had been planning to add a second controller to the system anyway, so before sending anything to Furuno, I went ahead and purchased another 711C controller and then tried powering up the autopilot with the new controller in place of the old one with the same result. Also got the “missing controller” message when attempting to update the controller software. It seems to me then that the problem is probably with the processor. Something occurred to me though. If the terminator on the controller were to go bad, (if that’s even possible), would that cause these issues I’m having? I’d hate to go to the trouble of sending in the processor if it were something that simple. Should I try replacing the terminator, or would it be a waste of time and money?

Thanks again for all the help.

If the terminator on the controller were to go bad, (if that’s even possible), would that cause these issues I’m having?
Yes it is unlikely but possible. I wouldn't buy a new one. Test it first. Just remove the terminator and ohm it out between pins 3 & 4 to see if you get 120 ohms or not. As you look at the terminator, just right of the notch is pin 1 and it counts in order around clockwise.

Back