NN3D and TZT3 autopilot

wkearney99

Furuno Super Fan
I've upgraded two of our four chartplotters from MFD12 to TZT3-16F units. The two TZT16F are connected to an ethernet switch along with the FA50 and radar.

The N2K network contains several sensors. Those include Airmar DST200 and 220WX, SCX-20, GP330B, Fusion RA700 radio, 2 each Maretron DSM410 and B&G Triton2 displays and two YDEG-4 engine gateways. The network seems to be functioning well, as Maretron's N2K analyzer software is reporting no trouble with it (after tweaking various instance values to avoid PGN overlaps).

Only one MFD12 is on the same NMEA2000 network (as per the MFD12 requirements).

The two MFD12 are now direct-connected to each other (as there are no other ethernet devices for them to use any longer).

The FA50 is providing AIS to one of the MFD12's via NMEA0183 into the DATA2 port.

Thus far things are looking good. I'm about to add a Navpilot-300 and wonder what, if anything, can be shared between the TZT3, NN3D and Navpilot systems?

If only to have redundancy. It'd be helpful to show the same active route on both the TZT3 and NN3D units. I'm not anticipating needing or wanting to generate or manage routes from the NN3D units.

Will the MFD12 automagically see the an active route created on the TZT16F and controlled via the Navpilot-300? Or, like the FA50, would I need to have data sent over from a TZT3 unit via NMEA-0183?

As a side note, the lower databox values that show up on an NN3D display are kinda nice. It's a shame the TZT3-series don't offer it. I realize the navdata fly-out menu from the left can show the same stuff... but I wouldn't mind having a databar back again.

If only to have redundancy. It'd be helpful to show the same active route on both the TZT3 and NN3D units. I'm not anticipating needing or wanting to generate or manage routes from the NN3D units.
Not the only way to have active route between NavNets is to have them on the same network. NN3D and TZT3 are not allowed to be on the same network. That part is a nogo nono.

Will the MFD12 automagically see the an active route created on the TZT16F and controlled via the Navpilot-300? Or, like the FA50, would I need to have data sent over from a TZT3 unit via NMEA-0183?
Because you can't have the active sync (above) it would be best to use NMEA 0183 if you can.

As a side note, the lower databox values that show up on an NN3D display are kinda nice. It's a shame the TZT3-series don't offer it. I realize the navdata fly-out menu from the left can show the same stuff... but I wouldn't mind having a databar back again.
I will pass the suggestion to product development.

Yep, was never my plan to ever have NN3D and TZT3 on the same wired ethernet.

Ok, so I can exchange route info via 0183 then? Bi-directionally? Or would it be best to only go TZT-to-NN3D?

I'm unclear on what PGNs would be necessary for this.

I have another question regarding saved tracks. I exported some from an MFD12 onto an SD card and I thought I imported them into a TZT3. But none showed up on the TZT3? Is track export/import suported from NN3D back into TZT3? I ran out of time and didn't go back and repeat the process to make sure it wasn't my mistake.

If not then I could convert the limited number of tracks I have on the MFD12 that would be useful into routes, and export/import those. This ties into my question about active routes being able to be seen bi-directionally. It's cut the export/import process out of the equation if I could transfer them over 0183 or N2K instead.

Ok, so I can exchange route info via 0183 then? Bi-directionally? Or would it be best to only go TZT-to-NN3D?
No. They can't be on the same network so they can't exchange active GOTO or route information. The only way to share a route would be to export it from one machine (NN3D in CSV) and import it into the TZT3 or vice versa.

I'm unclear on what PGNs would be necessary for this.
Even by NMEA 2000 this isn't possible.

I have another question regarding saved tracks. I exported some from an MFD12 onto an SD card and I thought I imported them into a TZT3. But none showed up on the TZT3? Is track export/import suported from NN3D back into TZT3? I ran out of time and didn't go back and repeat the process to make sure it wasn't my mistake.
I haven't tried it. If not working; I would tell you that the format isn't compatible. The format changed back when TZT2 went from v6 to v7 to support the newer layered format used the the TZT3. Chances are way too much has changed from 2008 to 2021. You can try it. It won't hurt anything.

This ties into my question about active routes being able to be seen bi-directionally. It's cut the export/import process out of the equation if I could transfer them over 0183 or N2K instead.
There is no support for transfering user data via 0183. It would have to be done via media memory. (SD card to SD/card reader into USB port)

Back