NMEA2000 problem

Bart

I have an MFD8, Garmin GPS 17x, and Nav Pilot 711C all connected on an NMEA 2000 network. In my network configuration 12V power for the network is being supplied via the 18 pin NMEA 0183 cable connected to data 2 on the MFD8. The MFD8 is now not getting any data from the NMEA 2000 network. Specifically I’m not getting any GPS or heading data. When I checked the power supply I found that the 1amp inline fuse I have on the 12v+ supply line had indeed blown. I replaced the fuse, and verified that pins 17 and 18 on the data 2 connector have power, but when I check the drop cables for power I’m not measuring any voltage. I’ve read that inside the MFD8 on the CONT2 board there is a diode and poly switch to protect against over current and short circuits, and I suspect that this is what may have happened. I’ve tried using a different power source for the NMEA 2000 network, but even then the MFD8 isn’t seeing anything on the network. If the diode/poly switch gets tripped does that also prevent the MFD from communicating with the NMEA 2000 network? Is there any test I can do to verify that this is my problem, and if it is the diode/poly switch, is there any way to repair it?

Thanks for any help.

Bart

Power NMEA 2000 from the MFD is very limited on power, I expect it was loaded down. If you have removed that power and running a normal power tee (with both the sets of wires connected to power) then it sounds like the NMEA 2000 port of the MFD is damaged and would need to come into the repair center. It could be the power tee has only one set of wires connected and only powering the one direction.

Back