New TZ touch 3 transducer question

Dmc57

I just installed a TZT12F, it replaced a navnet vx2. I also replaced the inop autopilot with a new furuno 300. So far everything is great, although with the weather I haven’t been offshore fishing with it yet.

I used the existing transponder, a b744 that was glassed in at the factory. I see that it works for the accu fish and bottom discrimination.

But since I now have more options with the newer unit I’m wondering what a different transponder would do for me?

I’m fairly new to saltwater fishing, so far I’ve been concentrating on bottom fishing in the gulf. So far in 70’-120’ of water.

My understanding is I’m somewhat limited in what transducer I can install as I have a older intrepid with a stepped hull. There is not much room for the larger thru hull transponders, I was told that a 75H would fit, or one that size. Or possibly a thru hull.

So would a 75H give me anything over my current transducer? Can I use a y cable and have both? Would a thru hull work ok for the depths I’m fishing?

While you will gain the advantage of HF Chirp, you will lose Acu-fish and bottom discrimination features. Considering you are familiar with how the B774V works, I would suggest saving the money and sticking with that. It is very hard to beat the B774V as a value. Right now supplies of transducers are hard to get. I personally would rather have the Accu-fish feature and the money in my pocket but I guess it comes down to what you would like.

Side-scan is currently only via the DFF3D multi-beam at the moment. Soon side-scan transducer options will be available for the TZT3 internal sounder but it is either side scan or down scan; not both. If you have two MFDs it is possible to run down sounder on one unit and then side-scan with the other internal sounder so that you have both options displayable.

Back