New Chirp side scan versus DFF-3D

sdonx

Furuno Fan
Hopefully I can ask this question correctly.
The DFF-3D beam is at 120* which is 60* each side covered from center.
Missing is the remaining 30* from the water surface down to the 120* beam edge.

Would the new side scan detect from 0* surface down to 30*, That missing area of the DFF-3D.

Roughly this is the area that the side scan covers. They don't share the exact beam angle but it should be roughly 30 degrees. Side scan is a total diffrent animal than the DFF3D.

Johnny, Trying to envision what the three beams would look like under water. I drew the sketch below. Would real life be similar? Trying to figure out if this would be a worthy addition for me as I fish deeper waters 100 ft and deeper. Getting a wider swath of whats around me would be great. Like a poormans Omni....lol.

Yes exactly. We have the same thoughts looking for bait fish and sailfish at distance. It is still early to see what the side-scan does in deep waters but for shallows it is crazy at seeing long distances to the sides. Hopefully some early adopter will post how the deeper waters work in that respect.

Johnny Electron":mtjtiwjv said:
Yes exactly. We have the same thoughts looking for bait fish and sailfish at distance. It is still early to see what the side-scan does in deep waters but for shallows it is crazy at seeing long distances to the sides. Hopefully some early adopter will post how the deeper waters work in that respect.

I am willing to be an early adopter, but need the pair of transducers to be available due to the 22 degree V of my boats. :think

It will be awhile. Airmar is still playing catch up on many existing transducer orders. As soon as they become available and the dealer notice goes out; I will post a notice here under the Furuno News.

I am installing side scan next week. Is there another view besides the classic view that's on all side scans. Similar to how the DFF-3D works. DDF-3D shows the classic side scan view and a 2 dimensional slice view, which I like the best. I don't use the 3D view much anymore on the DFF-3D.
I am hoping the side scan will do a slice view.

Back